Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

So I am about to purchase a BTO 27" iMac, I am quite nervous to be honest, hearing all these horror stories...

If I get a defective screen, is it better to return it online and get a replacement or having the screen just replaced at my local Apple store?

How does the return exchange process work if I buy online, how long will it take for me to get my replacement and how long will I be without my Mac?

Please help me relax, I love the iMac but don't want to invest in a lemon.

-Frank

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I would say it will take less than a week as you are in the US. If you're lucky, the old one will be picked up almost at the same time as the new one arrives.

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
Do not worry too much! Unless you are really out of luck, you will get a perfect machine. The probability for you to get a defective machine is only one or two percent, maybe even smaller. Wish you the best for your purchase of an iMac!

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

FrankHahn said:
Do not worry too much! Unless you are really out of luck, you will get a perfect machine. The probability for you to get a defective machine is only one or two percent, maybe even smaller. Wish you the best for your purchase of an iMac!

I hope so....I heard that some people while exchanging can keep their iMac until the new one arrives, is this true?

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Remember help forums are just that, they're a spot where people report problems. Trying to make a purchasing decision based on what you read here (or any help forum) is like going to a hospital to see if the overall population of an area is healthy. In short these forums do not represent the millions of satisfied users. In the extremely rare event you do have a problem Apple has strong reputation for standing behind their products. I haven't read anything that would make me think your experience wouldn't be anything but good.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Remember help forums are just that, they're a spot where people report problems. Trying to make a purchasing decision based on what you read here (or any help forum) is like going to a hospital to see if the overall population of an area is healthy. In short these forums do not represent the millions of satisfied users. In the extremely rare event you do have a problem Apple has strong reputation for standing behind their products. I haven't read anything that would make me think your experience wouldn't be anything but good.

I hope you are right!

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

So I am about to purchase a BTO 27" iMac, I am quite nervous to be honest, hearing all these horror stories...

If I get a defective screen, is it better to return it online and get a replacement or having the screen just replaced at my local Apple store?

How does the return exchange process work if I buy online, how long will it take for me to get my replacement and how long will I be without my Mac?

Please help me relax, I love the iMac but don't want to invest in a lemon.

-Frank

I strongly believe that the stories of people returning multiple machines has to do with the possibility that the machines arrive in the store in batches. Thus, if your first machine had a defect, the replacement machine is also likely to have a defect (as the defect is probably present in the whole batch).

To save time with possible returns, you can ask them to unpack the machine in the store so you can inspect it thoughtfully. Also, if you are looking for the yellow discoloration, don't look too hard - chances are you will "find" it (its a psychological effect).

My iMac was perfect from the start.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Also, I just ordered an i7 with ssd and 2GB graphics - around 3 grand delivered. If defective, there is no way I am going to accept (BTO or not) some tech at a local store opening it up and trying to fix it - return it for a replacement or refund.

The screen will have some uneven illumination, some yellowing, and, if you set up the right conditions, exhibit backlight bleed - it is the nature of LED backlighting technology / pros and cons & tradeoffs = life.

jaikob

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Freeland, MI
Also, I just ordered an i7 with ssd and 2GB graphics - around 3 grand delivered. If defective, there is no way I am going to accept (BTO or not) some tech at a local store opening it up and trying to fix it - return it for a replacement or refund.

The screen will have some uneven illumination, some yellowing, and, if you set up the right conditions, exhibit backlight bleed - it is the nature of LED backlighting technology / pros and cons & tradeoffs = life.

Exactly. With the screen technology and the viewing angle, you will perceive backlight bleed (especially the bottom corners), and in the right conditions you may perceive the screen to be warm. The iMac display will naturally be a little warm, adjust the white point. Then check for yellowing etc. Some of these issues are just the nature of the screen.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY

That is true, but again some much woirse then others!

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
A happy customer who got a perfect Mac will only share happiness once, on that famous "just bought/ordered new/refurb iMac" thread. Saying that iMac is a beautiful and great machine.

If somehow you get a defective or problems with your iMac, now you'd make a new thread telling how mad or disappointed you are. So, of course when you visit a forum like this, many of them contain horror stories, bad iMac, pissing off iMac, yellow tint etc.

Just call it a mental hospital for people that has problem with iMac :D Not all though, but certainly not a few either

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I hope you are right!

I see you already own a MBP and other Apple products. Visit help sites for those and you will get similar reports to what you read about the iMac. Then gauge your own experience with your MBP and decide. As I stated going to a help forum to make a buying decision isn't the venue to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.