About to order MBP 15"... Questions!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kemel, Dec 31, 2011.

1. kemel macrumors newbie

Hi guys!

I'm about to order a late 2011 Macbook Pro 15" with the i7 2.4ghz, 6770m, hi-res glossy screen, and 7200rpm HDD... But I had a few questions first! This will be my only computer and I will be using it for school, internet, and some gaming as well. I'm planning to install bootcamp and windows 7 and I'm looking to play the new Star Wars: The Old Republic game!

So my questions:

Does anyone have any experience playing SWTOR on this machine/setup? What settings? FPS? etc.:confused:

AND

Are there any overheating issues with this machine and gaming or streaming video?:confused:

I've considered building a desktop for gaming, but due to being in college that won't be my ONLY use and I have been looking at switching to OSX for a while. I think the portability would be nice for school and the build quality of the MBP seems excellent.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. praetorx macrumors regular

I'd say forget about playing games on a MBP. I have the MBP in my signature and gets too hot and noisy when put to play games.

3. butch10x macrumors regular

i just got a 15" mbp a week ago. i got the 2.4 i7, 1gb vid grx card version. i had upgrades waiting for it as i was waiting for the fedex delivery. i put in a ssd from owc and up'd the ram to 8gb. i installed windows 7 using bootcamp on the oem hd partitioned to about 200gb. i jus got star wars: the old republic installed and have gamed on it to lvl my toon to 20 thus far with no issues at all. i also run WoW on it too flawlessly!

As mentioned previously, it does get hot when gaming no question. The fans are at full speed , but it doesnt bother me. I upgraded from a 2007 mbp which is still running fine and the heat and fans were the same on that one too. The power adapter gets really hot, and that maybe a concern over the longterm. i havent read into that entirely tho.

i am pretty happy with it thus far (1 week of usage). i gotta say its an awesome machine!

4. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I don't know about SWTOR but my MBP can handle TF2 on High/Very high settings with a steady 40fps at 95 degrees Celsius.

That's only the processor temperature; the keyboard is kept relatively warm and the computer itself isn't that hot at all.

No heat or noise issues whatsoever.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

SWTOR runs perfectly fine. Check the Games subforum, there is a very long thread with people playing it.

The Macbook gets hot while gaming, and you will hear the fans. There is no overheating i.e. the machine does not shut down from heat.

6. kemel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all your replies!

To those of you using this MBP and playing SWTOR... What settings are you using in game? And what is your average FPS??

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

8. kemel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but I read through that entire thread already. I didn't really see any feedback from someone running the 15" MBP with the 2.4 i7 and 6770m. I'm curious about what settings the previous posters were using and what kind of FPS they had.

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Oh right, there's a better one in the games forum also:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=868937

10. kemel thread starter macrumors newbie

11. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Sorry to "steal" the thread, but I'd rather use this one instead of another.

I know you're all tired of me posting like, 9 topics about my MacBook Pro I'll be buying. This will be the FINAL post. My Mom is being nice enough to pay the extra $$$ for me to get a 15-inch MacBook Pro with High-Res display. I want to play some Portal 2, Team Fortress 2, Portal, Portal 2, and IF the card can run it, GTA IV. I will only have the dough to get the 15" for the 512MB card, not the 1GB card, unfortunately. Will it run those games?

12. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Anyone?

13. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

you need to be patient and wait for people to reply... it should run those fine, maybe not on the maxed out settings, but they will run.

14. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

If you don't have the money for the upper end 15", why worry about it?

15. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

I can be patient. I was simply asking if anyone knew?

16. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

Excuse me but you made a post then approximately five hours later made another post. Sorry but to me and most others here it is the height of rudeness to demand a reply in a set amount of time.

17. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

I wasn't demanding that I wanted an answer within a certain amount of time. There is NO need to yell at me, and bite my head off.

18. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

[​IMG]

Not gonna lie, the way this was structured makes it seem like you were.

19. onions macrumors member

20. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

onions, you seem to have missed this part.

21. ABadSanta macrumors regular

Well I mean of course your computer is going to get hot and noisy. Have you ever played a game on a comparable windows laptop? Alienwares and Asus' will also get pretty hot and noisy.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit running in BootCamp and I play some games during my breaks from school. It gets hot and a bit noisy with the fans, but my MBP is very capable.

Threat Starter: I have found great performance out of the 6490m, so I'm sure the 6770 will give you great performance.