About to order MBP 15"... Questions!?

kemel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
Hi guys!

I'm about to order a late 2011 Macbook Pro 15" with the i7 2.4ghz, 6770m, hi-res glossy screen, and 7200rpm HDD... But I had a few questions first! This will be my only computer and I will be using it for school, internet, and some gaming as well. I'm planning to install bootcamp and windows 7 and I'm looking to play the new Star Wars: The Old Republic game!

So my questions:

Does anyone have any experience playing SWTOR on this machine/setup? What settings? FPS? etc.:confused:

AND

Are there any overheating issues with this machine and gaming or streaming video?:confused:

I've considered building a desktop for gaming, but due to being in college that won't be my ONLY use and I have been looking at switching to OSX for a while. I think the portability would be nice for school and the build quality of the MBP seems excellent.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

praetorx

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
I'd say forget about playing games on a MBP. I have the MBP in my signature and gets too hot and noisy when put to play games.

butch10x

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
i just got a 15" mbp a week ago. i got the 2.4 i7, 1gb vid grx card version. i had upgrades waiting for it as i was waiting for the fedex delivery. i put in a ssd from owc and up'd the ram to 8gb. i installed windows 7 using bootcamp on the oem hd partitioned to about 200gb. i jus got star wars: the old republic installed and have gamed on it to lvl my toon to 20 thus far with no issues at all. i also run WoW on it too flawlessly!

As mentioned previously, it does get hot when gaming no question. The fans are at full speed , but it doesnt bother me. I upgraded from a 2007 mbp which is still running fine and the heat and fans were the same on that one too. The power adapter gets really hot, and that maybe a concern over the longterm. i havent read into that entirely tho.

i am pretty happy with it thus far (1 week of usage). i gotta say its an awesome machine!

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
I don't know about SWTOR but my MBP can handle TF2 on High/Very high settings with a steady 40fps at 95 degrees Celsius.

That's only the processor temperature; the keyboard is kept relatively warm and the computer itself isn't that hot at all.

No heat or noise issues whatsoever.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
SWTOR runs perfectly fine. Check the Games subforum, there is a very long thread with people playing it.

The Macbook gets hot while gaming, and you will hear the fans. There is no overheating i.e. the machine does not shut down from heat.

kemel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
Thank you for all your replies!

To those of you using this MBP and playing SWTOR... What settings are you using in game? And what is your average FPS??

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Thanks, but I read through that entire thread already. I didn't really see any feedback from someone running the 15" MBP with the 2.4 i7 and 6770m. I'm curious about what settings the previous posters were using and what kind of FPS they had.
Oh right, there's a better one in the games forum also:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/868937/

To anyone playing swtor on any mac, turn off shadows and enable blob shadows , I get 35fps as a low point, with everything else set to max/high on a 2011 iMac @ native res with the 512mb 6770 , system ram and CPU mean next to nothing in this game, it's 90% GPU based, and shadows will kill performance unless your on an SLi / crossfire equipped PC or have the very latest high end top of the line video card, which we mac owners do not have .
I have a 15" Hi-Res (1680x1050) late 2011 15" Macbook Pro. 2.4ghz i7 quad core, 8GB RAM, 1GB 6770m.

The game ran at high FPS at all times with every setting set to the highest EXCEPT for shadow quality, and I disabled bloom. Those 2 settings cause major issues with this hardware. Bloom alone accounted for, like, a 30 fps difference. Shadow quality is fine until the slider passes the 50% mark, at which point shadows become quite noticeably improved and performance drops rather significantly. Fog, or... well, whatever it would be called, on Coruscant caused significant lag when flying through it on the taxi, but this was the only instance of frame rate drop that I noticed. There's no setting to change the quality/appearance of that fog, though, so it was pretty ugly.

When I say high fps I mean 58-112 fps depending on the area. So quite high, really. This was at native resolution. i tried to get v-sync working so that I could run around with a capped 60fps, but the game's v-sync has issues. It doesn't always work and sometimes required the setting to be disabled/re-enabled several times for it to stick, so I scrapped it after.

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
Sorry to "steal" the thread, but I'd rather use this one instead of another.

I know you're all tired of me posting like, 9 topics about my MacBook Pro I'll be buying. This will be the FINAL post. My Mom is being nice enough to pay the extra $$$ for me to get a 15-inch MacBook Pro with High-Res display. I want to play some Portal 2, Team Fortress 2, Portal, Portal 2, and IF the card can run it, GTA IV. I will only have the dough to get the 15" for the 512MB card, not the 1GB card, unfortunately. Will it run those games?

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus

I know you're all tired of me posting like, 9 topics about my MacBook Pro I'll be buying. This will be the FINAL post. My Mom is being nice enough to pay the extra $$$ for me to get a 15-inch MacBook Pro with High-Res display. I want to play some Portal 2, Team Fortress 2, Portal, Portal 2, and IF the card can run it, GTA IV. I will only have the dough to get the 15" for the 512MB card, not the 1GB card, unfortunately. Will it run those games?
Anyone?

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011

you need to be patient and wait for people to reply... it should run those fine, maybe not on the maxed out settings, but they will run.

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
Excuse me but you made a post then approximately five hours later made another post. Sorry but to me and most others here it is the height of rudeness to demand a reply in a set amount of time.
I wasn't demanding that I wanted an answer within a certain amount of time. There is NO need to yell at me, and bite my head off.

ABadSanta

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
I'd say forget about playing games on a MBP. I have the MBP in my signature and gets too hot and noisy when put to play games.
Well I mean of course your computer is going to get hot and noisy. Have you ever played a game on a comparable windows laptop? Alienwares and Asus' will also get pretty hot and noisy.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit running in BootCamp and I play some games during my breaks from school. It gets hot and a bit noisy with the fans, but my MBP is very capable.

Threat Starter: I have found great performance out of the 6490m, so I'm sure the 6770 will give you great performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.