Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dank ink

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
hey guys,

so i'm about to order a MBP, but i'm not sure which of the two 15" models to pick from. i know the differences but am wondering if its worth paying more for an extra 128mb of video card and 0.2 mhz more. also, i'm wanting the glossy screen, but dont know if it will end up being more of a pain than a benefit if i have to work in the sun.

i'm a graphic/web designer so i'll be using the creative suite mostly (specifically photoshop, illustrator, flash), along with a tiny (VERY seldom) bit of video editing. i'm almost convinced that i wont need the extra bit of video card memory and think that the .2mhz is a pretty pathetic upgrade unless you guys can point a benefit out that i'm not seeing. and i'm assuming that it's not possible to upgrade to a 256mb vid card in the future if i would need it right?

what about the glossy screen? how bad is it when dealing with glare? i want to order it in the next few hours so any help is appreciated. thanks!

-juan

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
It's not glare you want to worry about if your a graphic designer. Glossy screens enhance the colours saturation. It looks prettier but its false colour. It'll look completely different on someone elses computer or when printed out. Go for the matte option if you work with graphics

dank ink

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
It's not glare you want to worry about if your a graphic designer. Glossy screens enhance the colours saturation. It looks prettier but its false colour. It'll look completely different on someone elses computer or when printed out. Go for the matte option if you work with graphics

hmmm this crossed my mind also, but thought maybe i was overthinking that part. good point though, thanks. i guess i'm shooting for matte now that i think about it more.
any input on the 128mb vid card?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.