About to Pull the Trigger: 2010 AG 15" MBP or Mid 2011 Base 15" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacsBestFriend, Nov 25, 2011.

1. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

Hey all, thanks again for the advice on my last thread. I'm about to buy the computer over at powermax.com, and I'm sort of stuck between two models.

My original plan was to get a 2 ghz i7 mid 2011 Macbook Pro, then put in a 128gb Samsung SSD where the superdrive is. In addition, I would get a Targus leather case and a drawing tablet. The final specs of the computer would be:

Mid 2011 Macbook Pro
    2 Ghz Quad Core Second Gen Intel Core i7
    4 Gb DDR3 Ram
    500 Gb HDD
    128 Gb SSD
    AMD Radeon HD 6490M graphics processor with 256MB
    15.4 Inch Glossy Widescreen Display
    Facetime HD Camera
    Ships with SL, Free upgrade to Lion (Or ships with Lion?)

However, if I look at the 2010 Macbook Pros on the website I could get a semi loaded computer. If I bought this one, I wouldn't get the ssd. I could still afford the case and possibly the tablet. The specs on this one would be:

Mid 2010 Macbook Pro
    2.8 Ghz Dual Core First Gen Intel Core i7
    4 Gb Ram
    500 Gb HDD
    Superdrive
    Nvidia GeForce GT 330M with 512MB
    15-inch Hi-Res Anti-Glare Widescreen Display
    VGA Facetime Camera
    Ships with SL, $30 Upgrade to Lion

And finally, I just checked the price on the NEW Late 2011 Macbook Pro. That would only run me $55 more than the Mid 2011 Model. I wouldn't be able to get the tablet, but I could still get the Targus case, the harddrive caddy, and the SSD. Specs:

Late 2011 Macbook Pro
    2.2 Ghz Quad Core Second Gen Intel Core i7
    4 Gb DDR3 RAM
    500 Gb HDD
    128 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5
    15 inch Glossy Display
    Facetime HD Camera
    Pre-installed with OSX Lion

I need the computer for multiple programs from the CS5 suite, as well as dual booting into Win7 for some of the code writing I do in Computer Science. I also use the Autodesk Suite extensively, switching between Autocad and Inventor. Additionally, battery life is a concern for me as I'm a student and try to get though the day on a single charge.

The most important thing to me is resale value, as I plan on upgrading after the redesign next year or whenever thats going down.

Thanks for everyone's help, i'll be sure to let everyone know which Mac I ordered later tonight!

2. Minhthien macrumors 6502

I'd pick the last choice!

3. psykick5 macrumors 6502

The last one is the best. It's video card is actually good, unlike the other two. It's worth the extra $55.

4. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

Do you think it outweighs the lack of an antiglare screen?

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Forget about the 2010, the iCore CPU`s offer a massive performance boos, Early or Late 2011 MacBook Pro with Intel Sandy Bridge i7 is the way ahead and will retain the most value

6. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

7. tmagman macrumors 6502

Between the first two I woulda said the 2010, however once you throw in the third loaded 2011 I would have to pick that one. Especially cause of your desire of resale value.

8. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Im getting that last one this week. Id say go for that!

9. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

Thanks for all of your input, everyone! I did in fact go with the late 2011 model, and was able to get a targus leather sleeve and case, the drawing tablet, and an ssd and harddrive caddy. I can't wait to get this monster, looking forward to a lot of productivity here!

Unfortunately, I didn't have enough money left over to get an enclosure for the superdrive. But I found a really awesome one that lets you keep the functionality of a slot loading drive and the aluminum look of the macbook pro. Pretty good price too, in fact. I'll pass the link along here if anyone is interested:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005RFOJT6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1UCLUF7KW7AYG

I also went with the Intel 320 SSD, if anyone is interested. I know a lot of people are deciding between that and the Samsung 470, but chose the intel hoping it would be more reliable and they supposedly include some garbage collection in the firmware (Not to mention it was slightly cheeper). I heard you should update it though, does anyone know how to go about that?

10. mark28 macrumors 68000

1. Late 2011 MBP.
    2. 2010 MBP.
    3. Early 2011 MBP.

Save up more and buy the Late 2011 MBP with AG screen. Else go for the 2010 MBP.