About to pull the trigger - one final question - right clicking. . . in Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OmahaGTP, Dec 1, 2008.

1. OmahaGTP macrumors member

I did some searching, and a lot of the posts/blog posts I find are fairly old. Some people say you can ctrl+click to right click in Windows. Some say you have to have 2 fingers on the trackpad, then click the button itself, not tap.

I would like a definitive answer from you fine gents (and gentle ladies:D) to this question. How do you right click in Windows (Vista) from a Macbook Pro?

I am about to order a MBP "classic" due to the awesome discounted prices. Just trying to tie up some loose ends, I've never really used a Mac since grade school.

Thanks, help very much appreciated!

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

You can two finger click or control click or use your right button on your bluetooth mouse :)

3. OmahaGTP thread starter macrumors member

If you don't mind me asking, how is your experience been with those mice? I've heard some people have lots of dropping out issues. Which mouse do you use? Thank you.

4. Azagar macrumors member

Azagar

Just my 2 cents, I use the Microsoft bluetooth notebook mouse 5000 it replaced my mighty mouse since it was having tracking issues. I have yet to experience any of the drop out issues you mentioned.

5. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I use a Kensington SlimBlade Trackball, which is what the Mighty Mouse should have been!

It is great, doesn't drop out etc, only thing is it takes a few seconds to wake up when I open my MacBook, but they will all do that.

6. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

ugh, the mighty mouse is just terrible, i can't imagine buying one, you can't use the 'other' button without first lifting your finger off the other side, otherwise it'll just left-click... what's the use in that?

i use a wired mouse personally, but it's a gaming mouse so sorta different purpose there.

you should be able to configure the mouse button in windows to work however you want through the boot camp control panel, either tap clicking or actual clicking or even ctrl-clicking, but i've read of some problems with these new ones, as you've seen, not everyone is doing the same thing, because the drivers don't seem to be quite 100% yet.

i would expect this to be fixed in a bootcamp driver update, but i can't imagine when that's going to happen since it's been almost 2 months since the release of the new machines and not even a peep.

7. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

i think bluetooth mouses dropping out is an issue of the mouse itself, not the OS under which it is running, or the computer.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just enable 2 finger press in Windows. Basically, 2 fingers on the trackpad and press the thing down.

9. akm3 macrumors 68020

For the record, two finger click does NOT work under windows (XP) for me...I have to use THREE fingers. I have no idea. But it works fine.

One thing I have noticed under windows with the new buttonless trackpad, that if you tap to click you are good, but trying to actually push-to click in windows is very difficult and the cursor floats all over the place.

So, in Windows I tap to click, and three finger tap to click - or preferrably use an external mouse. Which, since I use Windows mostly for gaming, is most of the time.

10. naersjoen macrumors newbie

Same here. 2-click simply will not work under XP even though it is enabled. I have yet to try using 3 fingers.

Generally the trackpad performance under Windows is a bit of a gamble and i often have to click several times for it to register a single click. No such problems when using a mouse. I guess they need to come out with an updated Windows driver for it to work in the same way as it does under MacOS.

11. tedfox macrumors newbie

how did you enable tap to click in windows under boot camp? could you show me please? thanks.

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

For the record I have the wireless MM and its great. Better than my other ones. It is a pain in the butt for right clicking but I was able to use it for half life 2 and COD anyway.

13. akm3 macrumors 68020

In the Windows XP system tray, if you properly installed boot camp, it will install the boot camp drivers. In the system tray, the (I believe) grey, sideway square icon is for bootcamp. Double click on that (or maybe it is right click, properties) and it should give you the bootcamp options.

I don't remember tap to click necessarily being an option though, I think it might have just 'been that way'.

But like I said, I have to 'tap to click' with one finger for left click and 'tap to click' with three fingers for right click. Trying to actually press the trackpad down causes the mouse to move and is unusable, for me, under Windows.