About to pull the trigger...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TaylorDog, May 15, 2007.

1. TaylorDog macrumors newbie

Life long PC user (~15 years) about to make the switch. I had been waiting for the updated MacBook, and although it wasn’t as significant as I had hoped for, I can’t imagine them updating the MacBooks again before August (when school starts). Regardless, I think I may take the plunge now...my current laptop is dying (cheapo Dell) and that way I can become familiar w/ the machine for a few months.

Also, do you run Word on your Mac or Pages? Can you get by w/ just Pages (can you save a document like a resume as a Word doc for PC users?)?

I noticed on the Apple website that I can get a $100 education discount (I'm eyeing the 2.16 white model). I heard that if I wait a while they may throw in a free iPod too. Is that true? When would that deal roll around? Is the $100 discount the best I can hope for? I noticed Amazon has it for the same price, but through a rebate. The advantage I can see from Amazon is that I would save the sales tax money, which is a chunk.

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Apple has oftentimes had a free iPod promotion during the summer (well, it's been a Nano, or the price of a Nano off of a full iPod). Amazon can usually be as cheap as the edu discount with their rebates, and you can get away with no tax in some cases, which should save a bunch. I always get charged tax, so I've just bought from Apple. You might want to check the refurb site, too, since the last gen MacBooks were pretty great considering the minimal speed bumps these got, and are heavily discounted.

3. TaylorDog thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked the refurb site but no luck. Another option is Amazon has the older (yesterday's) model for $1150 w/ $75 rebate, so $1075 total. This would be a $125 discount over the newer model. I don't think 40 gb and .16 ghz is worth $125, what do you all think?

4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I would wait a bit on the refurbs, personally. They update once or twice a day. I don't think the extra money is worth it for the few upgrades you'd get, though, if you did go with the amazon MacBook.

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the refurbs were stocked early in the morning, as they usually are during the week. i think you can get a 2.0 ghz white core duo for only $849. its tech is a year old, but i think it represents a good value.

6. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Definitely wait for the free iPod deal, even if you don't want it you can sell it :)