about to purcase 21" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by slicke101, Apr 15, 2010.

1. slicke101 macrumors member

Howdy folks.
    So i was just about to purchase a new MBP 13" when my desktop PC broke down. Now im looking to replace it and that means I will get an iMac instead of that MBP.

I will get the low end 21" iMac working as a regular home computer. Surfing, some word processing etc.

Just wondering if there are any issues with the 21" Imac serious enough to make me not buy it/wait/get a pc? :p

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The infamous yellow tinge was an issue but it looks like it has mainly been fixed. If you get one with it, just get a replacement

3. slicke101 thread starter macrumors member

Cheers hellhammer. Fast clean answers as always ;)

4. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Hi, i just bought the base model imac yesterday actually, for basic day to day use you should be fine. mine only has a slight yellow tint but ive only managed to spot it when doing an online test for it. Plus, as already said you always have the refund/replacement option if you dont like it :)

5. slicke101 thread starter macrumors member

Cool. Whats your impression of the computer otherwise?
    Regarding the yellow tint. If i cant spot it while working it wont bother me.

6. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

well ive been reading about the infamous yellow tint for months but when i got this one home i couldnt see it at all, only looked a little yellow near the bottom when doing tests. defiantly not a deal breaker in itself its still the best monitor ive ever seen. Its also virtually silent and really quick at the day to day stuff. overall a much more "refined" machine than my last C2D iMac.

I may actually be taking it back though, i noticed earlier when plugging in a USB hard disc the back plate seems to conduct electricity when you put the connector near it. lots of sparks and popping sounds, i actually got a shock when touching the case too.............. :confused:

7. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I had a nasty high pitched whine on my 21" along with the yellow tint: returned it immediately. Took a risk with a refurb 24" replacement. I really hope the current gen issues are sorted, iMacs are great machines. I can't seem to shake my attachment to them 11 years in.

Am very, very, very happy with my refurb 24" iMac. :) No screen or noise issues. Just wonderful.

8. slicke101 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, the store from which i will purchase the 21" has an offer on the 24" as well.
    A 24" C2D 2.93 GHz 640 GB
    for about the same price as the 21". Is this a good deal?????

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yea, it is. It has dedicated GPU while 21.5" has crappy integrated 9400M

10. slicke101 thread starter macrumors member

haha dude i was just about to PM you :p since im gonna buy the comp tomorrow. So I was about to hit the send button when I thought I would double check the thread first, and here you already had delivered :D

Sweet, Thanks once again.

11. MikeyJ57 macrumors member

I purchased a refurbed 21.5" iMac a month ago. I LOVE IT!!! It looks, acts, and thinks brand new and I haven't had a single problem with it.

12. slicke101 thread starter macrumors member

Hi m8. Cool your enjoying your new Mac. Im sitting in front of my brand new iMac as well. Ended up with the 21.5" as well and I must say im really enjoying it so far :D