Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deraj090

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
tristangage,

I actually spoke with a friend earlier this afternoon, and he said the same thing -- to just go with Mac Office. I only have one other program in mind, that I use frequently on Windows that can't be run on Mac. Is it worth adding windows just for that one program? If there's no adverse affects of adding XP, then yes. If there are any problems with adding XP, then no -- I can always boot up my old PC laptop if I need to use the program.

As for the Virtual Windows vs. a bootable version: I prefer the two boot options, just as a personal preference. I feel it should be one or the other -- not a mixture of both (especially since performance is reduced with a virtual version).

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
tristangage,

I actually spoke with a friend earlier this afternoon, and he said the same thing -- to just go with Mac Office. I only have one other program in mind, that I use frequently on Windows that can't be run on Mac. Is it worth adding windows just for that one program? If there's no adverse affects of adding XP, then yes. If there are any problems with adding XP, then no -- I can always boot up my old PC laptop if I need to use the program.

Using Windows on a Mac will have exactly the same risks as using Windows on a PC. I haven't heard of any examples, but I suspect that if you can get a virus on Windows that corrupts your hard drive, it can corrupt the WHOLE hard drive including your Mac partition rather than stick to the partition boundaries. Personally, I think the risk of getting a virus such as this is veeeerry minimal, so I wouldn't worry about it at all, and if you do happen to procure a more common virus on your Windows partition, you can always boot up into OS X to reformat the Windows partition.

It's really up to you, if you want to use that Windows software on your Macbook then install Windows. Just be cautious about viruses/trojans, use Anti-Virus software if you think you need it, and don't use any suspicious looking websites/programs. Basically all the junk you have to think about when using Windows on a PC.

As for the Virtual Windows vs. a bootable version: I prefer the two boot options, just as a personal preference. I feel it should be one or the other -- not a mixture of both (especially since performance is reduced with a virtual version).

If that's how you feel then go the Boot Camp route. Just in case you didn't know, you can use your Boot Camp partition in VMware Fusion as a virtual machine too, so you have the choice of booting up in Windows only OR using Windows in OS X - all your documents and changes are saved in the same place.

deraj090

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
thanks -- I'll definitely be back on here for advice once I actually do purchase. I'm still SOO nervous to pull the trigger, worried that something new will come out within 1-3 months...

the only thing is that I know the 2.26ghz/2gb ram will be sufficient for my use (for at least 2-3 years).

Completely different note: Can i purchase apple care sometime in the future? I don't want to buy it right away (for budget reasons) but will probably want it eventually.

Thanks,
Jared

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
thanks -- I'll definitely be back on here for advice once I actually do purchase. I'm still SOO nervous to pull the trigger, worried that something new will come out within 1-3 months...

the only thing is that I know the 2.26ghz/2gb ram will be sufficient for my use (for at least 2-3 years).

Completely different note: Can i purchase apple care sometime in the future? I don't want to buy it right away (for budget reasons) but will probably want it eventually.

Thanks,
Jared

Just buy it now! You have a time frame of 1 year after you buy your Mac to buy Applecare.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK

You might eventually want to upgrade to 4GB of RAM, however (depending on what you are upgrading from) I think 2GB will feel pretty fast at first, if not for a long while. You'd best hope you don't need 4GB, not that it's expensive, it'd just be nicer not to have to buy an upgrade ;).

As for the 2.26Ghz being enough, I would have thought so. They are good processors, these C2Ds. Good luck with your purchase.

Striker-UMB

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
Toronto
thanks Striker. Pending apple's $799 price match, I should have the macbook unibody by saturday afternoon.

On a separate note -- how do you guys feel about Boot Camp and running a version of windows XP? I think it'd be useful for work, (ie outlook, etc.). If I install WinXP through bootcamp, will I be able to then install a copy of microsoft office?

No worries, Bootcamp is running excellent for me. I didn't have a copy of XP on hand but I have a copy of Windows Vista home premium 32 bit that came with my dell and loaded it up no problem. The whole process took about 35-40 mins it was very fast, and bootcamp is very easy to use. It allows you to set how much of the macs HD you want to partition(again why the Macbook's 250 GB HD comes in handy) and then you insert the windows DVD and Bootcamp does the rest. Once finished you just insert your OS X Snow Leopard disc in, and Bootcamp will transfer all the drivers so all of your macbook features will work with windows. I have installed a few games and programs on Vista including an antivirus program and everything runs fine and just as it does on my windows desktop Now I get the best of both worlds:D

deraj090

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
just picked up my macbook! Out the door at $839 (incl. tax).

I'm sure I'll be extremely active on the forums. Thanks for all your help guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.