About to purchase a used MBP, seeking advice for a safe transaction

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mahonmeister, Jun 24, 2008.

1. mahonmeister macrumors 6502

Hello everyone. I would like some advise on a purchase I am about to make.

I found a MacBook Pro for $650 through a private party (via Craigslist). It's a base model Revision C, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo MBP with an extra gig of Ram and AppleCare. The problem is that the seller recently moved to the UK. Normally this would be a sure sign of a scam, but the seller seems sincere, made no unreasonable demands and the pictures she sent confirm the condition of the machine (see attached images). She has suggested that we use DHL's International Express Third Party Delivery Service to ensure both of us are guaranteed a successful transaction.

My questions are:
    1. The price seems great to me; what do you think?

2. For those that have used or know of DHL's International Express Third Party Delivery Service, do you think this is a safe way to make a purchase? Does this effectively protect the buyer?

3. Is it a smooth process to transfer AppleCare? Any experiences you can share?

Thanks for your help, I greatly appreciate it.

I always try to be helpful here at MacRumers, so here is some info I found on the transferability of AppleCare (from AppleCare FAQs page):
    Q: Is the AppleCare Protection Plan transferable?
    A: Yes. If you choose to sell or give away your Apple product, you can also transfer the ownership of the AppleCare Protection Plan. Please see the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions for complete details.

From the Terms and Conditions PDF:

6. Transfer of Plan
    You may transfer this Plan to a new owner of the Covered Equipment by sending, faxing or e-
    mailing notice of transfer to Apple Computer, Inc., ATTN: Agreement Administration, MS: 217-
    AC, 2511 Laguna Blvd, Elk Grove, CA 95758, U.S., fax number 916-399-7337 or
    agmts_transfer@apple.com, respectively. You must provide the Plan Agreement Number, the
    serial numbers of the Covered Equipment being transferred, proof of purchase of the Plan, and
    the name, address, telephone number and email address of the new owner.

I hope this thread can also be a source of information for future users seeking a safe transaction.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      15.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      18 KB
      Views:
  2. CharlieKirk macrumors 6502

3. G5power macrumors 6502

Scam

This is definitely a scam. On any given day you will see Craigslist postings all over the US for this kind of a deal.

The use of a bogus DHL site does not protect you. Note the recent short term registration of the site.

Domain name: FREIGHT-EXPRESSDHL.COM

Administrative Contact:
    contactprivacy.com, freight-expressdhl.com@contactprivacy.com
    96 Mowat Ave
    Toronto, ON M6K 3M1
    CA
    +1.4165385457
    Technical Contact:
    contactprivacy.com, freight-expressdhl.com@contactprivacy.com
    96 Mowat Ave
    Toronto, ON M6K 3M1
    CA
    +1.4165385457

Registration Service Provider:
    SoftCom Technology Consulting Inc., domains@softcom.biz
    +1 (416) 957-7400
    +1 (416) 957-7405 (fax)
    http://softcom.biz
    Please visit http://myhosting.com or http://services.mail2web.com for
    support with domain logins/passwords, DNS/Name Server changes, renewals
    and general inquiries.

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
    Record last updated on 11-Jun-2008.
    Record expires on 11-Jun-2009.
    Record created on 11-Jun-2008.

4. nayxn2nayxn macrumors member

scam...third party? moving? cheap? sending money? craigslist? yeaaaa def. scam

one thing about craigslist...if u can't pick it up, don't deal with it

5. mahonmeister thread starter macrumors 6502

Well thanks for your help. Usually I'm pretty good at spotting a scam, but I am not at all familiar with what kinds of shipping services companies like DHL offer. That's precisely why I asked. Thanks for looking out for me.:)

This is rather disappointing. About half of my attempted transactions on Craigslist have involved scammers. The previous ones were easy to spot, but this one was the best yet.

Do any shipping companies provide both buyer and seller protection similar to what was described on the fake site?

Is there a way to report this?