Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakester03

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
So I'm about to pull the trigger on a 24" iMac on Amazon.

My old Linux box died, so I've got a hard drive enclosure ready to pull out the old drive and hook up to the new iMac and transfer files over.

After I receive the iMac and get comfortable I plan on ordering 4GB of RAM from either Newegg or Crucial.

I'll also demo both Parallels and Fusion to see which I like better and order that and AppleCare.

Also planning on picking up an external HD (500GB+) with a Firewire 800 Port to connect to the iMac for TimeMachine backups and to share out to the Windows computers in the house for file sharing.

Anything I'm missing? If not, I'm ready to click Buy!

Thanks!

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
You are a man with a plan. Go get your 24"! The 500gb as a time machine backup is what I do and it is seamless (though mine is USB 2.0, but whatever).

Might want to get some sunglasses too, those 24" are Bright!

Quocy

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008

My old Linux box died, so I've got a hard drive enclosure ready to pull out the old drive and hook up to the new iMac and transfer files over.

After I receive the iMac and get comfortable I plan on ordering 4GB of RAM from either Newegg or Crucial.

I'll also demo both Parallels and Fusion to see which I like better and order that and AppleCare.

Also planning on picking up an external HD (500GB+) with a Firewire 800 Port to connect to the iMac for TimeMachine backups and to share out to the Windows computers in the house for file sharing.

Thanks!

your plan sounds pretty much like mine!
ordered my iMac today :)
iMac 24" 3.06 ghz, 1TB HD, 4GB Ram but it's not coming till 23rd sept :(
it takes longer because its customized.

i also have a 500GB external hard drive for time machine, with firewire 800!
however if i hook up my external hard drive for time machine, will i be able to use it to store other data or will it be primarily for time machine back up?

i didn't bother getting applecare because i purchased my iMac through the higher education store, and i get 3 year warranty on parts and labour as standard! if i did decided to buy applecare i would only get extended telephone support...

may i also recommend VMware fusion! its so much better than parallel.
so click buy now!!! you won't regret it! enjoy your iMac :)

The Hammer

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada

Thanks!
What are you doing for a router or are you going to bother?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
...if i hook up my external hard drive for time machine, will i be able to use it to store other data or will it be primarily for time machine back up?

Yes. The external drive is handled like any other drive by OS X. Any space not used by the Time Machine backups is yours to use as you please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.