About to Purchase First MBA! Need Input.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mowbr4, Aug 15, 2011.

1. mowbr4 macrumors member

Hey Everyone,

So I just wanted your opinion on the following...My first MB that I had for 3 years died on me a week ago. I know that it is time for a new computer...I am absolutely in love with the MBA but want to make sure it is enough for me. I currently have an iPad but plan to return to graduate school soon. I will use my MBA such as the normal user would; web browsing, music downloads, movie watching, etc. Nothing too intense.

I still get a school discount, do you think the 11/1.6/128 will be enough? It is $1149.

I am also planning on signing up for the Visa and getting 12 months of no interest.

Thanks!

2. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

if its going to be your only computer, you may want to get the higher end version with more storage. with discount it would be $400 more, I paid $1549 for mine, but that should be able to handle whatever you through at it, unless you have graphics intense programs for school. You could just get an external hard drive, it would be cheaper, if money is a concern, but if your going 11", I think the extra $400 is justifiable given the added performance.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Get the most computer you can afford. No one ever complained about their computer being too fast or having too much memory or storage. That being said, no matter which model you pick, I think you will be thoroughly impressed and will enjoying immensely. Good luck! :cool:

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Amazon offers 24 months no interest right now. And it would mimic the educational discount especially if you take possible lack of taxes into account. Apple education is still cheaper for AppleCare though but you can buy that separate if you want to.

Be sure to go and try out 11 and 13 to make sure that you'll be Ok with the 11 inch.

5. mowbr4 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I just went on Amazon's site and saw that MacBook Air 11/128/1.6 was $1399. So I still think I get it cheaper through Apple at $1149. Unless i was looking at the wrong product :D

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Right product but that price is from a third party not Amazon itself. Look on the right side under Add to Cart and you'll see Amazon under More Buying Choices. Estimated 3-6 weeks, but it said 1-2 moths when I ordered mine and got it 4 days later. $1140 from Amazon!

7. mowbr4 thread starter macrumors member

Wow, that is great! I never even saw that. Thanks so much. I wish I had the code for 20% off, that would be great! :(

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I got the 13/i5 17.5/128GB from apple for 1212.49. The Macmall price. Apple priced matched for me. The 13in is 100 more than the 11in and I highly recommend it. IMO the 11 is too small and may really strain your eyes. I originally wanted the 11 for portability but really happy that I got the 13.

Reread your post. With you having an iPad. Get the 13 if it's in your budget (plus it's faster). The iPad makes the 11 redundant.

9. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I wouldn't say that's the case, although I definitely find the 13 more useful as a full laptop. The vertical screen space makes for a huge difference when using text editors like coda or working on Xcode projects.

I had both, and the 11" went back.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ummm, no. There are times when you need a REAL computer... :cool:

11. mowbr4 thread starter macrumors member

I plan to head to the apple store tonight and compare the 11" to the 13". Personally the size, I like the smaller screen.

I've never really messed around with the MBA, only the MPB. I am excited.

12. eckthroi macrumors regular

I am a first time mac owner myself. I bought the new 11" air when it first came out. I got the same one that you are considering getting and I am more than satisfied with my purchase. I have always had a 15 or 17 inch PC but do not miss it at all for the wonderful form factor of the 11" It is so small and discrete I cannot imagine wanting to go back to anything else. I use it for basically the same as what you stated you will be using it for. I currently am going to school and so I will be using it mostly for note taking. I got the Knomo sleeve so that it looks nice and is well protected when carrying it someplace. However for school days I also got a Level 8 Atlas backpack to put the sleeve in. Lots of room and superior protection in my opinion. I just want to say that I do not think you will be dissatisfied with your purchase at all. I got the Barclay card through Apple as well. Was denied at first but once I called the backdoor number they approved me for exactly what I wanted. Good Luck with your upcoming purchase.

13. mowbr4 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much for your reply. I greatly appreciate the input and can't wait to have one. As for the Barclays card, do you know if they would approve me tonight at Apple or does it take time?

14. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

If you get accepted at the apple store, you can make the purchase then and there. If you get denied, and later accepted, you have to wait until your card comes in the mail before you can head out there to buy.

15. eckthroi macrumors regular

That is true only if you want to buy at the store and not at the Apple online site.

To answer your question I applied online - was denied. After a couple of days and being denied at Best Buy as well I spent about two hours trying to find the backdoor number online. After I found it I called and asked for a reason for the denial . I was asked a series of questions and when he was done he told me I was approved for the 1500.00 that I wanted. Now if I had wanted to go to the store I would have had to wait 2 weeks for my card to come (actual wait time for me to receive card) however, I called the number on the Apple website and they took my order over the phone. I had all the items I wanted already on my screen so I just gave them the item numbers and they verified my Barclay card with my personal info. I didnt have to have an account number or anything. I got my air 4 days later. (1 day earlier than expected)

I also posted a thread about this that helped someone else get approved for the card. The thread has the backdoor number as well as the series of questions asked listed inside of it. Here is the link:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1192316&highlight=

Hope this helps you

16. mowbr4 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone.

As for the Barclays Visa, I currently have a great credit score with two major cards. Would this third credit card hurt my score if paid off on time? I could pay up front by like taking the opportunity of the extra time.

17. mowbr4 thread starter macrumors member

As I sit here in the apple store, I believe that I have decided to purchase the 13" one. The size seems to fit perfect.