About to purchase my 1st Mac. Input appreciated!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XavierM, May 27, 2011.

1. XavierM macrumors newbie

XavierM

So it finally happened. My late PC gave out on me, and I'm about to succumb to taunt after taunt by my friend to transition over to the Apple world.
    I have fallen!

Okay. So they're beautiful machines. No doubt about that. Aesthetically pleasing and all that Jazz. The little half-eaten glowing apple behind your laptop screen.
    And now with some serious processing power! Damn.
    I'm convinced.

But which one should I buy?
    I read that the Mac Book Pro line will be getting a complete revamp in looks next year. So I ask myself, should I wait? Will it just be looks?
    Or will it gain any impressive hardware, touchscreen?, better video card?, more memory?
    I know this is a lot to ask for, but since this site IS called Mac RUMORS, I figured this was the best place to ask such an open question.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm having trouble deciding what I want on my 13 inch Pro.
    Should I spend the extra dough on more memory (8gigs instead of 4), or should I go with the better processor (i7) and extra harddrive space?

Decisions....Decisions. :apple:

2. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Upgrade the stuff that you can't upgrade on your own like processor screen etc from :apple:. Buy third party RAM. it's much cheaper. And get apple care. It got it from amazon for my 17" for 250$.
    Welcome to the world of :apple:Home computing. :):)

3. CFoss macrumors 6502

4. XavierM thread starter macrumors newbie

XavierM

Hahaha. Thank you. That's great advice.
    third party RAM it is.

You recommend Apple Care huh?
    It's funny, I really don't think I want to spend the extra dough on apple care, especially since I feel that Macs are just better built machines than PC's. So I figure that I won't be having a serious problem it when the time of purchase comes, and I hope even 3 years after. But I guess anything can happen.
    I think that spending the extra moolah on A Mac instead of half the price on a rivaling PC is like insurance that it'll be a better behaved machine. Am I just naive?

5. XavierM thread starter macrumors newbie

XavierM

Well, I don't use it for much more than the usual browsing the web, downloading tunes, editing few music and video, web-chatting, Pandora, essay writing, and now these forums.
    But I'm concerned with how my new mac will age, technology-wise. I just don't want to buy something that will become obsolete by next year. So I'm wondering where my money will be put to better use to help avoid that.
    You know?

6. anonymous12 macrumors member

I just bought my MBP last week and I love it. I bought the high end 13". I would buy AppleCare if I were you because it is a very expensive laptop and what if something were to happen to it after your 1 year warranty expired.

7. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

The base 13" will suit all your needs. Applecare can be purchased all the way until the original warranty expires.