about to purchase my mbp..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mr.toast, Mar 26, 2009.

1. mr.toast macrumors newbie

hey everyone. i'm about to purchase my first mbp. i think i'm going to get refurbished since it's much cheaper. i mean educational discount is good, but i could put that extra $200 to applecare.

is there anyone who would suggest otherwise? should i just buy a new? or stick with the refurbished (current gen).

and while i was at the store, i heard that a big discount is taken off for apple care for students.. like almost $100.. is that true?

i just want to clarify things before i make the final decision ;)

2. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Yea if you buy refurbished go with apple care. They take a big chunk out the apple care. I am not sure of the exact amount, but I just remember it being a fairly large sum of the cost.

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

refurbished is a great way to go. it all depends on what you feel comfortable doing. i know ppl that are scared of buying refurbished and will never do it no matter how many success stories they hear. so if you feel comfortable doing it go for it. and the apple care with education discount is pretty incredible. $100 off is what i got when i bought it recently.

4. mr.toast thread starter macrumors newbie

oh, also.

i was lurking the forums and reading about memory. upgrading memory will not affect warranty correct? and then two brands, crucial or OCZ or something.

for those who did upgrade with the current gen. did you get DDR2 or DDR3? cause i'm debating that right now as well. if i should upgrade, which i kind of do.

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

you will loose the warranty on the memory you take out but not the rest of the components in the computer.

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I second the above - go refurbished, it's same as new, but cheaper (and comes in a brown box instead of the fancy boxes).

Unless you can get a discount otherwise (education, etc), but seems that you're not eligible for any of them, so refurbished is the way to go.

Definitely buy memory elsewhere. The memory you put in won't be covered by Apple's warranty, it'll be covered by the memory's manufacturer's warranty. The rest of the computer stays under Apple's warranty.

In other words, upgrading the memory doesn't void your warranty.

7. NickM macrumors 6502

If you are able to use eBay and PayPal, then I would HIGHLY suggest that. I saved about $700 on my BRAND NEW MacBook Pro compared to what I would have paid in the store... even with the student discount. And NO taxes!