Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.Joel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2005
^
^
^

Agreed :D Not available to me in Australia either.

However, I have been looking around, I spotted two 1.6 G5 PowerMacs on eBay here that were less then $1000. One sold at $890. So may go that way and just take out the extended warranty on the unit if it is within 12 months. Megamart just cleared out their 20" Displays for less then $600 according to the sales person there. I'm kicking myself i swear. But I'll see if I can steer it this way.

The iMac 17" looks damn attractive though after reading that other thread. Even the 20" is a great deal.

Lucky8

macrumors regular
May 18, 2005
benwa02 said:
I wouldnt consider the Single 1.8 $1500 right now since you can get the Dual 1.8 for $1700 without an edu discount. $200 more to get a dual machine, you would be stupid not to.
Is $1100 a good deal for the latest Single 1.8 G5 (4 RAM slots)?

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
Lucky8 said:
Is $1100 a good deal for the latest Single 1.8 G5 (4 RAM slots)?

I guess its a good price for the Single 1.8. That price isnt on the Apple site is it? The lowest price for a 1.8 on the apple site is in the refurb section for $1300. Thats what I see.

Right now there is a Dual 1.8 refurb for $1500
And you can get a new Dual 1.8 for $1500 with an edu discount.

Riot_Mac

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
IL
Joel Theodore said:
Hey all,

I currently have a 12" Powerbook, 1.5ghz, I am about to sell it as I no longer require a laptop. Initially I thought I did but it isn't a nessecity now.

I am looking at the single cpu 1.8ghz Mac G5. I don't need a dual, it is fast enough. I am just curious, as to what sort of graphics cards they run. Am i able to go to a retailer and purchase an agp or pci express card and run in in the system or not ?

I work at a retail computer outlet, so it works out cheaper to downsize to a cdrw, not superdrive, then purchase a Pioneer109D and install it myself and I still save about $50. Small things like this make the single G5 appealing etc.

So just curious about the video / graphics slots on the motherboard of the G5s ?

Regards,
Joel

I would suggest not getting the single 1.8. they seem to have the most problems out of any of the G5 line. Go with a dual or get an imac. We have a bunch of 1.8s at my work and we have a ton of problems with them. Although some work fine. also if you go to apple's support forums you will see the majority of the problems come from people with the sp 1.8.
Dont get one.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Riot_Mac said:
I would suggest not getting the single 1.8. they seem to have the most problems out of any of the G5 line. Go with a dual or get an imac. We have a bunch of 1.8s at my work and we have a ton of problems with them. Although some work fine. also if you go to apple's support forums you will see the majority of the problems come from people with the sp 1.8.
Dont get one.
This hasn't been my experience. I'll defer to you, obviously, since you've seen more, but I haven't seen on the Apple forums any 1.8 people having more problems than the dual-ies. In fact, I'd say the opposite: the dual users have had a slew of fan speed problems (tons of threads) and the beep/click issue. I don't think the SP have had that at all.

You're scaring me, cause I'm selling my rock-solid SP and upgrading to a DP; this machine has been a trooper with no problems. Rev A or B problem?

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
with all the talk about education rebates and such, I thought I'd share a little tidbit I recently found out. If you are a student you can sign up for Student ADC, which costs $100. You are then entitled to all the fantastic discounts of a Select ADC member. For me, I can get $700 off a G5 2.7 for example. When I quoted the entire machine I want, I saved over $1200. It was because of this I could all of a sudden afford the Nvidia card over stock and the 23inch HD over the 20inch.

Moral of the story; get the Student ADC and get one heck of a deal.

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
rickvanr said:
with all the talk about education rebates and such, I thought I'd share a little tidbit I recently found out. If you are a student you can sign up for Student ADC, which costs $100. You are then entitled to all the fantastic discounts of a Select ADC member. For me, I can get $700 off a G5 2.7 for example. When I quoted the entire machine I want, I saved over $1200. It was because of this I could all of a sudden afford the Nvidia card over stock and the 23inch HD over the 20inch.

Moral of the story; get the Student ADC and get one heck of a deal.

Without signing up how can I found out the price breaks I could get. Too bad I just bought a PM 2 weeks ago, I am pissed now if I could have saved a ton. Maybe I can use this for a monitor.

EDIT: nevermind i found my way in.

Lucky8

macrumors regular
May 18, 2005
benwa02 said:
I guess its a good price for the Single 1.8. That price isnt on the Apple site is it? The lowest price for a 1.8 on the apple site is in the refurb section for $1300. Thats what I see.

Right now there is a Dual 1.8 refurb for $1500
And you can get a new Dual 1.8 for $1500 with an edu discount.
Nah, I saw the Single 1.8 G5 ended at $1100 on Ebay the other day.
How is the dual 1.8 G5? Don't know if it's true but I heard a lot of DP owners were complaining the fans were loud and come on often. Some said the 2nd processor was not recognized by the machine.
Anyway which PM did you get?

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
Lucky8 said:
Nah, I saw the Single 1.8 G5 ended at $1100 on Ebay the other day.
How is the dual 1.8 G5? Don't know if it's true but I heard a lot of DP owners were complaining the fans were loud and come on often. Some said the 2nd processor was not recognized by the machine.
Anyway which PM did you get?

I have the dual1.8 G5 Rev B. So far my dualy is fine, no loud fans cranking all the time or randomly, nothing like that. My fans have rarely gone up since I havent really been doing anything that is hard work(yet). No complaints here except a minor one. The superdrive makes some noises at times when a dvd is in. I plan on contacting Apple to see about this issue.

I have no idea what are you talking about with a 2nd processor not being recognized by the machine. Explain for me what you mean. I think I would notice that but maybe not. How would you even tell besides performance?

Lucky8

macrumors regular
May 18, 2005
benwa02 said:
I have the dual1.8 G5 Rev B. So far my dualy is fine, no loud fans cranking all the time or randomly, nothing like that. My fans have rarely gone up since I havent really been doing anything that is hard work(yet). No complaints here except a minor one. The superdrive makes some noises at times when a dvd is in. I plan on contacting Apple to see about this issue.

I have no idea what are you talking about with a 2nd processor not being recognized by the machine. Explain for me what you mean. I think I would notice that but maybe not. How would you even tell besides performance?
Oh, I guess certain software runs only on 1 processor.
Check these single star reviews: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cu...-5280173-0574255?_encoding=UTF8&s=electronics

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
Lucky8 said:
Oh, I guess certain software runs only on 1 processor.
Check these single star reviews: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cu...-5280173-0574255?_encoding=UTF8&s=electronics

Well I dont really care about that review I love my machine. With that review then the Single1.8 would theoretically be faster, right?

The dualy works great for splitting up the tasks between programs and its pretty fast. Last night I just turned the processor speed from "Automatic" to "Highest" and have def noticed a significant gain in performance.

Lucky8

macrumors regular
May 18, 2005
Dual 1.8 G5

Just pulled the trigger on Dual 1.8 G5 for $1500 (EDU Sale Section).
Am I eligible for $100 rebate?

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
Lucky8 said:
Just pulled the trigger on Dual 1.8 G5 for $1500 (EDU Sale Section).
Am I eligible for $100 rebate?

Niiiice. I got the same machine and the same deal you did.

I was told in another thread that I wouldnt be eligible for that $100 rebate but go ahead and try it. If you do get it let me know!

Lucky8

macrumors regular
May 18, 2005
benwa02 said:
Niiiice. I got the same machine and the same deal you did.

I was told in another thread that I wouldnt be eligible for that $100 rebate but go ahead and try it. If you do get it let me know!

I really don't want to cut out the box to get the UPC if I'm not eligible for the rebate.
Did you try sending in your rebate? How long ago did you get it?

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
Lucky8 said:
I really don't want to cut out the box to get the UPC if I'm not eligible for the rebate.
Did you try sending in your rebate? How long ago did you get it?

I actually purchased my machine a few days before this rebate started but if eligible I was going to call them and see if they can give it to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.