About to Purchase.... Quick advice appreciated.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nlm74, Mar 9, 2015.

1. nlm74 macrumors newbie

I was pretty set in purchasing a mid level 13" MacBook Pro refurb today thinking the price would drop....and it did. I work on the computer but it would be for personal use too. I definitely want to pull the trigger today.

Now I'm second guessing myself? Worth it to buy the new 2015 for a $280 price increase? Would be same specs, OR I could even get better specs with a refurb for the same price of the 2015.

Shiny and new is appealing, but so is saving money....(and I realize the refurb will still be shiny and new).

Thanks in advance!!!

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You didn't give too much information about how you will use it. If it isn't a big deal for you to spend the extra money then get the newest one, but if you get the old one for less money you'll probably be fine too.

3. nlm74 thread starter macrumors newbie

Personal use is web searching, managing personal photo library, social media. Kids stuff.

For work I process content at a high speed, fast is nice. I have multiple tabs open and am constantly switching from tab to tab. No video editing or any of that stuff. It's still basic work.

I'm currently working on an old 2010 Macbook and recently updated everything so it is faster, but it's going to be passed down to my husband.

I'm thinking the refurb will be just fine......?

Thanks.

4. nlm74 thread starter macrumors newbie

still haven't pulled the trigger....

I was going to buy the refurb July 2014 Retina 2.6GHz, 8GB, 256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage, because it's the perfect price, but then my husband reminded me we have an external drive, hub thing (currently collecting dust) with 2000GB storage that I can dump all my photos and itunes and whatever else in. He makes it sound like it's a piece of cake to retrieve things as they are needed.
    so.....
    should I go new then, with the 128gb at the same price of the refurb?

I'm having a terrible time deciding.

5. Joelburman macrumors regular

Joelburman

128gb of storage is pretty limited for a laptop. I'd go for the refurb if its 256gb for the same price.

6. nlm74 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Joel, I really appreciate the response.

I think that's what my gut is saying since I work out of the house 3x a week. I don't think I want to be moving things back and forth, rather have everything in one place while I'm away from home.

7. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

If that's the case then definitely opt for the 256gb model. Better to have some extra space and not use it than to be running out of space and wishing you went with the higher capacity.

8. nlm74 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. My husband thinks I'm crazy, it just feels wrong though to pay a bit more for a 2015 with less storage. But hey, there's that 14 day return policy, so I'll get the refurb and if the new 2015 turns out to be amazingly awesome, I suppose I can always return the refurb and repurchase the 2015.