Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PSUstoekl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Hello everyone!

So I rebooted my macbook today only to find the dreaded flashing folder symbol with a ? on top... looks like I'll have to break out the install discs. However, I'm pensive to do a clean-state re-install, given the mass amounts of music on there and programs to which I'd rather not re-set all my settings.

Can I reclaim this data? If not through the re-installation process, then how?

Thanks in advance.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
check out the archive and install option while you reinstall OS X.

It'll rewrite all the system files, but your user account and files there will be left alone.

oh, and when you do an archive and install you might want to reinstall a few programs..while your average app will still continue to work fine, something like Photoshop might need a reinstall.

PSUstoekl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Nice, that's what I'll do. I don't usually use too many high-complexity apps (my 'starting five' as I call it are Firefox, Adium, iTunes, Xtorrent and Newsfire), but perhaps Aperture, and mail.app to be safe?

That's such a relief.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Nice, that's what I'll do. I don't usually use too many high-complexity apps (my 'starting five' as I call it are Firefox, Adium, iTunes, Xtorrent and Newsfire), but perhaps Aperture, and mail.app to be safe?

well you shouldnt need to reinstall anything...apps will generally complain about missing components if that's the case, like with Photoshop. The others should be fine...dont know about Aperture though.

Xtorrent...eh, I'm gonna pass on that. Most definitely not a fan. It's an infuriating program.

PSUstoekl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Not a fan of Xtorrent? Really? For my needs it far exceeds any other program I've tried on any program (Azureus... completely bloated and beyond the scope of anything I need). The browser--- totally kickass, as far as I can see.

What don't you like about it?

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
What don't you like about it?
For starters it's banned on every tracker I like, and not banned on all the really crappy trackers that I have no interest in even looking at.

Next, it's too basic for my needs. Azureus is bloated, but at least it has options I need - like torrent queueing and specific connection/seeding/whatever options.

The dev wants to make it shareware, oh the irony.

The only thing I like about xtorrent is the interface...but that's a stretch.

All that, and there's no web interface for xtorrent. I have a 100mbit dedicated server and I mostly torrent on it and so a web interface and RSS capability is of utmost importance.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Did it just randomly happen? Have you been noticing any freezes lately?

When you reinstall, check the SMART status of the disc, it's poissible the disc could be on its death bed.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Yes, absolutely -- don't just reinstall without making an effort to find out why the Mac became unbootable in the first place. You can even make matters worse if you don't!

Can you boot on the restore DVD? If so, what results do you get from running Disk Utility?

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
For starters it's banned on every tracker I like, and not banned on all the really crappy trackers that I have no interest in even looking at.

Next, it's too basic for my needs. Azureus is bloated, but at least it has options I need - like torrent queueing and specific connection/seeding/whatever options.

The dev wants to make it shareware, oh the irony.

The only thing I like about xtorrent is the interface...but that's a stretch.

All that, and there's no web interface for xtorrent. I have a 100mbit dedicated server and I mostly torrent on it and so a web interface and RSS capability is of utmost importance.

Good to see you're back spreadin the AZ love again :)

OP- Why did your MB start up with the folder+? symbol? any ideas ?

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Good to see you're back spreadin the AZ love again :)
Oh my gosh, not anymore! I'm pissed about Zudeo/Azureus 3.x but I'm still telling people to use 2.5.x.x cause for the meantime its the only client for MacOSX that has a gui and is most compatible with every tracker and client.

On top of that Bittorrent Inc. acquired utorrent, and then Xtorrent is based on libtransmission which is mediocre, and the list goes on.

Almost every client out there is pretty useless...the only client I like nowadays is rtorrent (and nobody wants to use a client without a pretty gui to look at :p ). I use torrentflux-b4rt with bittornado on my seedbox and latest azureus 2.5 or utorrent at home for now.

I don't really have a choice. It's not love, but necessity. I don't feel like getting banned from sites for using a client that isn't Az or uT, and besides those two tend to prefer peers using the same client so its helpful for seeding when theres only one seed and many leechers :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.