About to swap drives

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RITZFit, May 4, 2008.

1. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I'm looking at swapping out my stock hard drive sometime this wk but before hand, two questions. Should I avoid using a magnetic screwdriver? I've used them on desktop PCs before and they seems to work alright afterward. I just want to be totally sure. also, do I really need that anti-static piece of plastic for removing/prying off the ribbon cables? or can I just use something like a rigid paper business card? Thanks in advance

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

ive opened up my machine 3-4 times and never had a problem

3. RITZFit thread starter macrumors 65816

RITZFit

yeah, I heard about that plastic thing from the guide on ifixit.com. they recommended using it to pry off the cables but I guess I can get away w/ out it. thanks for the response

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would get a new roll of Kapton tape to replace the pieces you are ripping off.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

they are taped down, i think there are 2 sets taped to the harddrive, so having something thin, like a credit card or something, might be best to pry them up, but like i said, i didnt use anything just my fingers (not that thats a good thing)

and yes the tape becomes unsticky when you pull it up, so if you want to pick up a roll from ifixit for somewhere it might be good for resecuring the cables

now as far as removing the power and sata cable from the drive its self it just pulls right off both plugs are soldered to a pcb board