About to switch! But, to which?...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dXTC, Nov 1, 2007.

1. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Okay, Mac fans, I’d like to get your opinions on the purchase of my first Mac, which I hope will take place in the next couple of weeks.

First, a bit of information on my current situation. My current PC is self-built, and its short list of specs are as follows:
    • AMD Athlon 64 3500+ on Gigabyte K9 series motherboard (400MHz bus)
    • 1 GB RAM
    • ATI Radeon X300SE PCIe video card (Sapphire)
    • Two 80 GB 7200 rpm SATA hard drives (Western Digital)
    • Windows XP SP2
    It still runs OK at this time… well, as OK as a Windows machine can.

Two-thirds of the time, I use it for surfing the ‘Net, e-mail, word processing, iTunes, the usual. These functions could be handled easily by a refurb, but I want Leopard from the get-go, so I’m willing to pay for a new machine.

However, I spend that other third in Cakewalk SONAR 5 Producer, a digital audio application similar in power and function to Logic Pro.

I’m not a serious gamer by any means; I’d rather hear the boom of a 909 than the boom of a HeadShot. :D Thus, video specs are not highly important.

NOW… here’s where your opinions come in. Should I…
    (1) opt for a high-end Mac mini OR
    (2) go for a low-end iMac?
    The 24” iMac and the mac pro series are out of my budget range at this point, unfortunately.

I’m seriously considering running (the Windows-only) Cakewalk in Bootcamp in either case, as I have several music projects and a good bit of money already invested in Cakewalk and will not replace it with Logic. Is the Mac mini as fast as my current PC, with the obvious exception of hard drive speed? If not, I may have to get the iMac, as I need the processing power for the virtual synthesizers and effects.

If you think—or know from experience—that running Cakewalk in Bootcamp is not a good idea, let me know, for that makes the choice much easier. Honest opinions from musicians are definitely welcome in this case, as are those from all.

Sarcastic remarks? Well, if you make them witty enough, I guess they’re OK too.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Cakewalk will work just fine in bootcamp it behaves exactly as a regular Windows PC.

Personally, I'd go for the iMac. Faster HD (useful for audio) and a good screen being the clincher. The Mini is a great little machine, but there's a performance hit based on the notebook hard drive and the low-end graphics controller. They're also that much more difficult to get at if you want to upgrade RAM or whatever.