About to take the iMac plunge

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shuatay1, Oct 24, 2007.

1. shuatay1 macrumors newbie

question for imac pro users

Here's the plan: I own a G4 powerbook 1ghz and she worked just fine during her prime. Now she is almost obsilete for what i need her for (pro audio). My first idea was to just upgrade to the MBP 2.2, get Logic Studio and buy a large screen. Then later, after checking out the imac, i've decided to go with the imac. it's cheaper, has a big screen, and packs a bigger whallop (2.8ghz santa rosa/500 gig drive). I'm also going to hit up Newegg for the ram upgrade

My question is for imac users.
    What am i getting myself into with the imac as opposed to the notebook? Is there anyone out there using imac for pro apps (music especially but photo/video people as well since you are in the same boat as far as needing speed and space)? how does it work for you? Do you feel that you will get good longevity out of the imac (my powerbook has lasted over 4 years before i'm having to upgrade)?

Thanks for your time

2. mets1125 macrumors regular

There is no difference between the hardware of the MPB and the iMac. The iMac uses laptop hardware. The question you have to ask yourself is if you need portability? If not then go for the iMac