about to take the mac plunge..gaming question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mtbazz, Mar 14, 2009.

1. mtbazz macrumors newbie

About to take the plunge on a mac, but had some questions running windows and playing games on a mac. If loaded properly on a partiioned drive, is game play smooth?

Also, Ive only ever played games on a pc. Is there a difference between console gameplay and computer gameplay? pros and cons of both?

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Gaming under Windows through Bootcamp will get you better performance than trying it through Fusion or Parallels. Gameplay will be smoother.

It does depend on what games you're hoping to play. To be honest, Macs aren't gaming machines, and you'd be better off with a straight PC or with a console.

Differences between console and computer gaming: there are many. I don't do much of either, so maybe someone else can give you the highlights.

3. mtbazz thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, im really only a part time gamer....an hour or so a week at most, so its not that big of an issue, but is still something i like to be able to do.

4. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Games will play fine. I was able to play C&C Red Alert 3 (in native resolution but all features set to their lowest settings) just fine on my Macbook (Aluminum 2.4Ghz with Nvidia 9400m, 2GB of RAM at the time) while in Boot Camp (dual booting) in Windows Vista. No lag, no slow downs, no crashes.

If you get the 24" iMac with the ATI 512MB card, you will be JUST FINE for all modern games as far as gameplay. You may not be able to max out resolution and features, but they will work and be playable just as they would be on a PC.

Even the 120 and 130 cards from nVidia should run most games just fine. The 9400m which is the integrated card on the mac mini, macbooks, and the entry level iMacs is not going to do so well, though. It will run most games including modern games, but you will have to really tone down the resolution.

If you are a casual gamer as you said you are (a couple hours here and there) then you will be just fine with a mac, don't worry!

And guys, let's not keep repeating this "macs aren't good at games" crap, they really are just fine. Yeah, high end PCs (and DIY ones) can run circles around macs in gaming when resolutions are cranked up to the max but it doesn't mean games will totally suck or be unplayable on macs, especially the current lineup.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

It also depends on which Mac you buy. Like an iMac with the Radeon 4850 will do quite well with games. While a Mac Mini even with the Geforce 9400M will not do nearly as well, though they can still be playable at reduced settings.

As for differences between console and computer. In many respects they are quite different. Really the choice comes down to the type of games you play.

If you are into strategies or simulation more often a computer is a better platform. Games like Age of Empires, Empire: Total War, and MS Flight Simulator are for computers only. Other games just have better controls and more features on the computer like Sims 2, Knights of the Old Republic etc...

However consoles have a larger selection of games and are well suited for games that you play through once and never touch again. Consoles also do not get outdated as quickly, ie any PS3 should play any title made for PS3.

Personally I used both for years. But after the Playstation 2 I stopped using consoles and game exclusively on the computer. I prefer it since I prefer non-linear strategie and simulation games. Games that have levels are too limiting. I find with the linear games that once I beat them I never touch them again. While a game like Medieval 2: Total War can provide months of entertainment.

I just wish Gran Turismo would be ported though it is not worth buying a console for that one game.