About to take the plunge

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Allegator, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Allegator macrumors newbie

Hey, I have an iPhone 3gs that I just bought online. It is previously owned and the seller restored to iOS 5.0.1 with a baseband of 5.16.05.

So, I've heard the only possible way for this current setup at this time to be used on T-Mobile would require the baseband be upgraded (which may damage the phone)

This is a 2009 model so hopefully that will not happen.

Does anyone know of a really simple clear cut guide to doing this? I was thinking of watching everythingapplepro's videos but if there is something better out there, please let me know, thanks.

2. noiceT macrumors 6502a

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/1718400992/ultra-recycle

3. mtime macrumors newbie

The issue with the Ipad baseband (6.15) is that it "breaks" gps; meaning your phone will still use location services, but will have to rely on cell tower triangulation instead of true gps.

You may/may not run into some other "quirks". I had a couple of 3gs' that worked fine on bb 6.15 at IOS 4.1 but had some issues with signal drop at IOS 5.0.1

The "tipping point" here is that IF you need to unlock your phone to use on a carrier other than ATT, (my situation, T-Mobile) you have to flash the 6.15 baseband or sell the phone.

If you need to unlock for...say T-Mobile, I'd suggest flashing the bb to 6.15 and see how IOS 5.0.1 works for you. You are still able to downgrade to IOS 4.1 as Apple is still signing (who knows for how long)

Its unlikely there will be an unlock for your current baseband

Good Luck

4. Allegator thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, for the very clear answer. So, the only thing i don't understand is the concept of "signing". Can I download 4.1 from somewhere right now and stash it on my macbook and then downgrade later if 5.0.1 doesn't work so well? Or once they stop signing it's gone like forever.

5. Allegator thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump -

Can you describe how to downgrade to iOS4? or point me in the direction of a guide?

HELP: So, I unlocked my iPhone

iOS: 5.0.1
    Baseband: 6.15.00
    Network: T-Mobile

I get this "network unavailable" notification and "no service" in the top left corner. Is there a solid solution to this? The funny thing is, that when t-mobile is unavailable and I set network search to automatic, AT&T pops up with full bars. So, I'm getting service but with AT&T. Please help...

6. b0bab0i macrumors regular

Did you turn off 3G? T-mobile can't get reception when 3G is turned on.

And if you want to downgrade to 4.1, you would have to create a custom IPSW with sn0wbreeze/pwnagetool because you are on iPad BB.

7. Allegator thread starter macrumors newbie

3G is definitely off..

Does this sound like a problem with the jailbreak/unlock or something else?

I can reflash 6.15, if that's safe to do..

8. b0bab0i macrumors regular

Alot of people have been having problems with 6.15 baseband on 5.0.1.
    Have you tried removing ultrasn0w 1.2.5 and reinstalling it?

And to answer your question about the 4.1 IPSW, you can always get them from here: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750