About to take the plunge

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Eusebius, Dec 9, 2006.

  1. Eusebius macrumors member

    Dec 9, 2006
    After trudging through five years of Windows, and not liking it much, I'd like to switch to Apple. I want to buy the 24" imac, but am not certain when to make the move. The salesman in an Apple dealership here told me that it wasn't worth waiting for OS X Leopard, because applications that now work on Tiger might not work on the new operating system, at least until the application manufacturer updates the product. Is this really true? In my case, could it really be true that the Mac version of the musical notation software Sibelius, which was produced for Tiger, might not work on Leopard? And that I'd have to wait for the Sibelius people to update the software, something I cannot do?

    Maybe I should visit another Apple dealership. The salesman also told me, against everything I have read on the Internet, that Apple was planning to stop development on iwork. Would iwork 7 work on Tiger?

    Anyway, the Apple machine is beautiful; after playing with it for an hour in the shop the operating system seems a wonder. I was going to wait until Leopard came out, but now I don't know. I've no experience with Macs, and am certainly not technically-minded. I hope someone can tell me whether the salesman was right or just trying to sell me a machine.
  2. FFTT macrumors 68030


    Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    Leopard will be Universal Binary, so any PPC applications should still be fine for quite some time, but eventually AVID will have to catch up and release all their Mac Compatible software in Universal Binary versions.
  3. pianoman macrumors 68000


    May 31, 2006
    it sounds like he didn't want to sell you a machine.

    i'm not sure what "dealership" you're going to but you should only go to a bona fide Apple retail store. the people there are the most knowledgeable (maybe second to MR users).

    all applications that work with Tiger will work with Leopard. the only reason you should wait for Leopard is if you don't want to pay for an upgrade (likely $129 for a single user) but you could be waiting another six months before Leopard comes preinstalled on Macs. if you want it now and can afford it, go for it.
  4. Neonguy macrumors 6502

    Sep 10, 2006
    That sale person seam like he don't know what he is talking about. I would suggest getting the iMac now instead of waiting for Leopard. After the upgrade all your application still work.

Share This Page