About to take the plunge...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Palad1, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Any last minute advice before I spend a trillion year's wages on an entry-level MBP and a low-end white MacBook?

Girfriend hates the new design of the laptops.
    I got from the threads that case protectors for the alubook tend to scratch the book so I'll just use a neoprene sleeve and a lot of care.

Regent Street, here I come!

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly. The MBP is a great machine. You'll love it when you get it. Use, and enjoy. Let us know when you finally have it.

Cheers and good luck

4. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

If your girlfriend is dead set on a white MacBook, I would recommend that you buy a refurbished one instead, because you could get one that is 300MHz faster, with 40GB more storage and an extra GB of RAM for less money. There are none available on the Apple's Refurbished store right now, but check here early tomorrow morning and there should be some good deals.

5. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

Agreed about the white MB, go refurb. Quality is like new and they carry the same warranty.

6. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Take unboxing photos and post them here so we can welcome you to the club while drooling over the new purchases. LOL

Seriously, do what themoonisdown09 suggested - enjoy it when you get it.

7. Palad1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Thanks for the messages,

I wanted to go refurb for both actually, but I need these machines now-ish...

Typing this on the MBP.

Machine name : awesome
    I forgot about the joys of unboxing. I initially thought I'd setup the machine for my GF tonight and gift it to her this week, but the unboxing is so nice that I feel like I'd steal this from her.

Anyway, after being nearly blinded by the MBP [sorry no camera here], the first thing that came out of my lips was 'awesome' hence the machine name.

The WOW factor is very strong with this one...

I'd have thought I'd hate the keyboard [Powerbook keyboard 4 life, homies! ] but this is less of a burden than I initially thought it would be. I might end up enjoying it.

So if you're a fan of the powerbook keyboard and you read this and wonder whether to take the plunge or not, do it, you won't suffer for long. It's getting to the point where I actually don't mind the softer response much.

The apple store is a nice place to try as well, but it's impossible to get seated in order to try a laptop it seems. The keyboard feels quite different when using it standing vs seated.

Anyway, rambling on... Thanks a lot MR peeps!

palad1@awesome.local

ps: really, when turning the thing on for the first time, wear sunglasses! It's not just for the cool factor.