Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I have always been in love with HP printers, and after years my last one broke, so I got a new one. I just go the Mac Pro and noticed in the store a cool looking silver (matching mac pro) colored HP printer.

I don't need much from my printer, but it simply has to work on those basic things, and it does not. And I am now a mac fan boy, so I am used of unpacking, plugging it in, and it having it to "just work". I am tired of trying.

It's a HP Deskjet 5940

I can get it to work just fine, it prints, etc. But.. photoshop files are out of color, but this changes, it doesn't consistent change color, I';ve played hours with color calibration from various angles (from os, monitor, photoshop and printer driver and combinations).

But it are the little things like printing a web page, and it only prints the images, and no text. Or only half the page.

The stupid printer also takes 0, 2 or 5 papers, instead of 1.

Since I hardly print, I have it for a while now, returning it to the store is no longer an option.

Odly enough, textmate printing is just fine. (because textmate is awesome).

Maybe I should just get a new one and give this to someone in my family, they're on Windows, so they're used to things not working. Not me..

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
HP has been going downhill for well over the last 10 years. Go with Epson instead, that's the only brand our Marketing department will use.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I have always been in love with HP printers, and after years my last one broke, so I got a new one. I just go the Mac Pro and noticed in the store a cool looking silver (matching mac pro) colored HP printer.

I'm with pjarvi on this one. Several years ago, I had the opportunity to buy a HP DeskJet 1220C, one of the last HP printers that didn't suck. I will not buy a more recent model HP. Currently, I swear by Xerox. Many Mac users have good experiences with Brother. I have heard of problems with Epson ink cartridges. I recommend that you investigate this issue before you buy an inkjet from any manufacturer.

MK2007

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
All you really have to know is for lasers buy an HP and for inkjets buy an Epson. Use that rule and it's unlikely you'll ever go wrong.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
.... Use that rule and it's unlikely you'll ever go wrong.
Except for the HP laser printer part. HP laser printers are slow and they suck. There was a time when HP laser printers were good, but that was a long time ago.

bld44

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2007
Except for the HP laser printer part. HP laser printers are slow and they suck. There was a time when HP laser printers were good, but that was a long time ago.

As someone who just bought a new HP laserjet a few months ago, I couldn't even remotely agree with you.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
As someone who just bought a new HP laserjet a few months ago, I couldn't even remotely agree with you.
Perhaps I should amend my previous post. My Xeroxes are much faster and suck much less than my department's HPs. OK?

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
I'm on my 3rd Epson (Photo R260), and it's the worst one I've bought. I drinks ink like koolaid. I recently replaced the cartridges (all 6 of them!) and it costs almost as much as buying a new printer. The color is okay, but printing grayscale or black and white is terrible! Prints too dark, contrasty and has a strange color cast that is impossible to eliminate even when tweaking in Photoshop. It prints text and logos fine, but forget about anything else. I would have returned it, but I bought it at Compusa and they went out of business.

Although this printer is less than a year old, I'm looking for another one. I need something that does a nice job printing black and white and doesn't cost a fortune to feed it.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I've had 5 Epson's give up the ghost on me, so I went and bought a HP PSC 2115 a few years ago, and it's still going strong even though it's been through a lot. Sure it's old, but it just keeps going, and that's all I need.

I'll still recommend HP, my dad's new one works without problems as well.

I've gone through two Xerox printers as well, they both died pretty quick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.