About to Throw in the Towel on 10.9

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by numbersyx, Oct 23, 2013.

1. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Okay, I have a 2009 Mac Pro with an Apricorn Velocity Solo x2 SSD Card as my startup disk. I have made 4 different installation attempts of Mavericks. Each time the MP restarts and goes to the X Installing screen and then the stripy blue bar continues to animate without ever turning solid, giving me a time or starting the installation. I have left it running for 3 hours with no success. I have reset the PRAM, SMC, Verified disks, Repaired Permissions and cleared the caches using Onyx. All to no avail. Can anyone help?

2. Daysight macrumors regular

Had a problem like that trying to install a purchased copy of ML on a mid-2010 MacBook. Finally took it to an Apple store Genius Bar where they verified no hardware problem (do you still have the hardware check disc) then simply flashed ML onto it. Last night I installed Mavericks to that MacBook over the air at home with no problem.

3. numbersyx thread starter macrumors 65816

numbersyx

When you say "flashed" do you mean install via USB key?

4. Daysight macrumors regular

No, at the Genius Bar they simply plug a LAN cable into the computer and do their magic from whatever server it is connected to. The tech did not initiate a usual install procedure; He called it "flashed".

5. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

It's time for an old fashioned "windows" style install. I never upgrade to a new OS. I always make a bootable USB install and do a clean install. Back up everything the old fashioned way by dragging all my files to an external HD instead of using carbon copy or time machine which will just slow down and bog down a fresh installation. So try doing a clean install by formatting your HD.