About to throw the new trackpad at the wall...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kat.hayes, Jul 7, 2016.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

Are there any settings (including human error) to correct the following:

With a mouse I often will select a link in a browser and drag it to the desktop to save it. I can not seem to drag a url to the desktop after selecting it with the trackpad. This also applies to many other situations that I can't think of now that prevents me from dragging things.

Thanks.

2. vkd Suspended

vkd

I can do what you said with the original Magic Trackpad. :)

3. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

I also keep trying to click once on a file or folder to change its name....I can not seem to do this with the Magic Trackpad, and I have to go to the Get Info option to do so...

4. roadkill401 macrumors 6502

roadkill401

5. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I've been testing random commands with both Trackpads and I haven't really found anything the old one does that the knew one doesn't.

Are your trackpad settings set up properly in System Prefs ?

For renaming I will tap the file name once, wait a solid second and tap it again and the entire file name gets highlighted to change.
    For dragging files I have to click and hold on a file with one finger then place a second finger on the trackpad to move the file around.

but I have all options enabled except natural scrolling and expose
    Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 12.12.40 AM.png

6. Tim in Scottsdale macrumors member

Why ruin a perfectly good wall?

Take it out to the driveway and run over it with your car!!!!

7. MikeeW macrumors newbie

MikeeW

In trackpad settings you can turn off Force Click and haptic feedback. This is supposed to make the trackpad act like the older versions. I have slowly become accustomed to the manner of touching and dragging. I prefer to leave the Force Click in place and continue with the feature. I do have a Magic Mouse available and use it sometimes, in lieu of the trackpad. But, in general, I prefer the track pad as is.