About to transfer 420GB from one USB HD to another...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by james-bailey, Dec 2, 2010.

1. james-bailey macrumors regular

I have an NTFS formatted 500GB USB LaCie HD as mentioned in a few earlier threads and its about time I updated and had all my drives formatted Mac Journal so I can have it sync'd to my 1TB Time Machine Drive.

My question is what is the safest and efficient way of transferring about 420GB from one removable drive to another?

The Old drive is USB 2.0 and the new drive is also USB 2.0 however does also have a FireWire port.

Cheers

James

2. simsaladimbamba

As the speed limit will be the USB speed and the NTFS format, you can safely use USB as interface. I haven't copied that much data from an NTFS volume yet, but maybe just do it in chunks, like if you have five folders on the root level of that NTFS HDD, do it one folder at a time, though I often copy hundreds of GBs from HFS to HFS volumes and don't really experience any problems with that.

3. james-bailey thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks yeah, I'll just do a few folders at a time and take it slowly.

;-)

4. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

Use the firewire port on the one, having the two drives using different buses should speed it up a little.

5. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

What I would do is start the transfer and leave it on overnight. No real reason to break up the transfer in chunks. It is not as if the files on the original drive is being modified if something is to go wrong.

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

I second the "start it and leave it overnight" suggestion--I just moved about 1TB from my old server drive to a new replacement, which took about 7 hours, but I just got it started and let it run while I was at work for the day. Unless something goes wrong with the process and it hangs, it'll be done when you wake up/get home. And even if it does hang, it won't slow it down any overall, and it's not like it'll break anything. It'd be particularly useful to set and forget because in my experience the NTFS driver is pretty slow, so it may take quite a while.

I suppose if you were getting the occasional problematic file that refuses to copy due to name weirdness or something, doing it in chunks might help you narrow down where it is (if it's invisible), but going from NTFS to HFS probably won't have any issue.

7. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Remember to "copy" and not "move", also!