About to uninstall Norton/Symantec. Good?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by imanidiot, Sep 10, 2011.

1. imanidiot macrumors 6502a

After viewing some of the innumerable threads about how unnecessary Mac security software is, I think I'm going to uninstall Norton---which I only use because Comcast provides it for free. Am I doing the right thing? (Please don't beat me up because this topic has been done to death, I know.)

Thanks.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

OH GOD!!!! Please uninstall it!!!!!

It doesn't matter if it's free or not. I wouldn't install it if they paid me.

The Norton/Symantec stuff is worse than a virus, and it will not give you any protection for your Mac. It's more likely to make your system more vulnerable.

Please get rid of it! If you have disks for it, shred them immediately.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yes. I wouldn't suggest using antivirus software unless you have to, as some schools require it. All it does is take up resources from your other apps

4. imanidiot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Uninstalling is the deal

Old-Wiz, I already have it installed, unfortunately. I'm talking about UNINSTALLING it. Which, I gather, you think is a good idea.

5. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

Norton Internet Security 2011 is an excellent AV product for Windows. I have it on all 3 of my PCs. It has a small footprint and gets great reviews.

I think it (and any other AV) is unnecessary for my MBA and I go naked with that one.

6. imanidiot thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. Sc00tr macrumors regular

Just follow the steps in the link. I have never installed Norton on a MAC. I do know that on a PC there is an extra uninstaller from their website.

8. realchimera macrumors regular

Antivirus software is always useless... even for PCs

9. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

I'd agree: just follow the steps Norton gives you to follow. It ought to work, however if it doesn't, you can try poking around the library (for both the user and system) to find any symantec folders and delete them as well.

If it weren't for the fact that I have no idea how deeply the software weaves itself into OSX, I'd recommending downloading the trial of appzapper and deleting it that way. However, doing so might cause more problems than you bargained for :-/

Good luck!

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

No its not. Nothing good comes from Norton/Symantec. I work in IT and work with Symantec products daily. Not only do they completely bog down a system, but they never find anything (or if they do, they can't do anything about it).

The fact that you need a special uninstaller to uninstall their antivirus should speak volumes about the "quality" of Symantec products.

Also be wary of AV reviews. The people reviewing never have to work with the product on a large scale and therefore never truly experience it. I can't tell you how many times I've had to call Symantec's corporate support line because their software couldn't find something that was infecting our systems.

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

For Windows I use Microsofts own free anti virus, for Mac it's unnecessary. IMHO Norton / Symantec is rubbish on any OS.

13. imanidiot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, it appears to be gone.

Really appreciate the help and suggestions.

14. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

You are welcome! :apple: and thanx to you for removing the app.

15. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

If you're talking about Norton from a few years ago then you're correct. Maybe you stopped using them at that time and haven't tried the new versions. From 2009 on, Norton completely rebuilt the product. Now it installs in about a minute, has a tiny footprint, takes almost no resources and gets excellent reviews from all of the AV testing organizations.