about to upgrade macbook HDD Advice please?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chimpboy74, Apr 10, 2009.

1. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Hi
    I have just bought a new 500GB to replace the very full 80GB I have on my 13" (1,1) 2.0ghz macbook. I had some questions I hoped you guys might be able to help with:

1. I found an online guide (http://www.macinstruct.com/node/130 see part 4) that suggests removing the EMI and fitting to the new drive. the apple official guide doesnt mention this. Should I be doing this?

2 On the apple discussion forums I have been advised to take a clone of current hard drive using superduper. I dont have an empty external drive at the moment. Could I reload the OS disc and then do a back up from time machine? Would that put all my files and settings etc back as they are now but on the new fitted drive?

3 I have my itunes files on an external drive. What is quickest way of getting them onto the new internal drive and getting itunes to recognise that they are there rather than on the external (without having to redo all my playlists etc)

sorry if these seem dumb questions but I am new to all of this!

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

1. Yes you need to move the EMI shield and it takes the T8 screwdriver.

2. Yes you can restore your system from your Time Machine backup. I usually use the: clone to new drive in enclosure then switch drives method. That has always worked for me. The first time that I upgraded (couple years ago), I used the tutorial that you mention from MacInstruct to the letter.

3. I'm afraid I can't help you with this...sorry. I've always increased my internal drive size to accommodate my tunes.

-GDF

3. tamasvarga67 macrumors regular

3. Create a folder on your internal drive and set is as default music folder in iTunes preferences (or just "Reset" it). Also check the "Keep iTunes Music folder organized". Then just go to File>Library>Consolidate Library. Then iTunes will copy all your music in the new default iTunes music folder on your internal HD without changing any information.

4. chimpboy74 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

hiya
    Thanks for this. I don't have an enclosure. How can I work this without it?

5. chimpboy74 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

hiya
    Thanks for this. I don't have an enclosure. How can I work this without it?

I was told you can clone with superduper to an external drive but if you have files on that external drive it would wipe them. Can you clone to an external drive with time machine and not wipe any other files on it (the external has plenty of capxity to clone my existing hdd)

6. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

buy a cheap USB enclosure and you're in business.

7. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

There is a method of restoring your new drive via Time Machine. I've never done this and you'll need to search for specific instructions. It goes something like:

Install new drive.

Insert system restore disk and format the new drive as Mac Extended (Journaled) GUID using the restore disks Disk Utility.

Hook up your Time Machine drive and do a system restore pointing to your Time Machine backup (kind of like Migration Assistant)

Like I said... look for better instructions. -GDF

8. chimpboy74 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

thanks all for the advice. I'm trying this out this week. If I get stuck I will be back !!!!

Thanks again

9. mistergogolak macrumors newbie

Similar question...

I just upgraded my internal hdd from a 120 to a 320, but I want to keep my itunes on the external drive where it's been for the last year. Do I just point this new instance of the iTunes application back to that folder? Since my laptop was a clean install and I did not restore any of my accounts, will it still read purchased music? I'm just trying to re-associate my mbp with my itunes library...

I've been trying to find these answers for a week now, but must not be using the right search parameters...