About to upgrade my internal HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Super Mighty, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Super Mighty macrumors newbie

Hi!

I'm about to upgrade my internal HD, and I've bought a 2,5" enclosure for the current HD. Can I just remove the current internal HD and put it into the enclosure, without losing my data?

thnks;)

2. tomllama macrumors regular

It's even easier if you put the new one into the enclosure, clone it with carbon copy, then swap the HDDs to verify the new one works and then you can wipe the old one to re-task it.

3. mugtastic macrumors regular

mugtastic

i create a copy on the new drive in the enclosure with super duper, boot from it to check it, then swap and keep the orig. in the enclosure as a bootable backup.

4. Super Mighty thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'd like to start fresh. I'm back-uping my important files on another drive, just to be sure I don't lose anything. I'm gonna put in the new empty drive in the mbp and put the existing one into the enclosure and drag everything to the new OSX over USB. Takes longer, but I want a clean OSX. Thanks again ;--)

5. Super Mighty thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if I should do something with the new HD? Because it's a SATA-II drive (WD Scorpio Black 320GB, 7200RPM) and my macbookpro3.1 has a SATA-I controller. I read on the WD site that in most cases this shouldn't be a problem, but if it is, I should place a jumper on the drive. The store gave me 1 jumper, but I'm unsure where to put it. The pictures and info on the WD site do not match my 2.5" Scorpio drive...
    Any help is greatly appreciated! And thanks fella's, for the quick reply's I got! Cheers

6. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

SATA is backwards compatible, so there shouldn't be an issue; I have a SATA3 drive while my MBP has SATA2 connections. That said, I can't imagine there would even be room for a jumper inside a MBP.

Also, why the 320GB? For ~$15 more you can get 180GB more with a 500 drive.

7. Super Mighty thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks
    320 is enough. The 320 will force me not to put too much data on the MBP :D

8. Super Mighty thread starter macrumors newbie

AH yes! Everything is working. Good stuff. But damnit, those HD torx screws! They wouldn't come loose with a Torx screwdriver. I had to actually butcher a long flat head screwdriver to make it fit and to get those screws loose. I was all sweaty because the screw was almost ruined. :D
    The Scorpio Black is a bit noisier though but pretty fast and it produces less heat too, so I'm happy!
    Two months ago, Apple replaced my logicboard for free (bought it in 2007), few weeks ago I replaced the top panel + keyboard, so I've got a brand new macbookpro3.1 now, except for the screen and battery and bottom case.
    Two thumbs up for :apple: (except for those bloody screws!)

9. RayK macrumors 6502

Don't forget to too out the ram! Cheap and great performance boost!

10. Super Mighty thread starter macrumors newbie

ive got it maxed out
    But, hey! The WD Scorpio Black is really loud though. Is there anything I can do about it? I had to install HDAPM because it was doing weird parking stuff. But now it's constantly at full speed and is really noisy. The mbp sounds like an old Compaq or something all of a sudden. I can't record anything with this noise. And my hands vibrate while I'm typing this message. And now it made a very strange click/squeeze. It almost sounded like a chicken! First time I heard this kind of sound :eek: This is not cool at all.

11. Saberon macrumors 6502a

I just put a WD Scorpio black in and it's extremely quiet. You sure you put the torx screws in the black? Clicking is not a good sound if that's what you're hearing. Search youtube for clicking hard drive and if it sounds like that all the time you may have gotten a bad drive.

12. Wattser93 macrumors regular

Just last night I put a 750GB Scorpio Black to replace my stock Hitachi 250GB 5400RPM drive. It was simply plug and play, then restore from Time Machine.

I haven't noticed any vibrations yet or extra noise, it's whisper quiet and blazing fast.

13. Super Mighty thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe I've got lower noise expectations? Otherwise, you're lucky!
    I was able to remove the vibrations by inserting a piece of cloth between the HD and bay. It makes a little less noise now. The drive, however, is super speedy. OSX SL boots in about 5 seconds. Repairing disk permissions takes about 4 minutes in comparison to 8-9 minutes. Of course the other system drive was highly fragmented. I guess I've got to live with the noise for a year or so, until SSD disks are cheaper. :(

Btw, Watsser... which Mac model do you use? I'm using the macbookpro3.1. I believe it's the last alu gen.

14. Wattser93 macrumors regular

I have a 2010 MBP, the 7.1 model.

My Scorpio has stayed plenty silent, I only hear noise during a large transfer (when it's fully spooled up) and I put my ear to the case. Either I got a good one, or you have much more sensitive hearing than I do.

When I popped open my case there were some little foam bumpers that get compressed between the bottom of the case and the hard drive, my guess is that they help dampen the vibrations and noise by keeping the hard drive firmly planted in the bay, and not allowing it to wiggle in the slightest.

It's definitely a lot faster than the old drive. All of my large applications boot in less than half the time of before. Before my drive only had 10GB free and was heavily fragmented, even defragging it didn't make much of a difference. So I bought the Scorpio and couldn't be happier. The stock was definitely the bottleneck in the system.