? about uninstalling and then recovering from trash?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Imola Ghost, May 25, 2009.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I was curious about something. If I was to take a Application from the Application area in OSX and drag it to the trash, it is uninstalled.

Now I've downloaded a program call Apptrap, so it will remove all of the associated files along with the program.

If I were to decide to put the program back in the Applications area of OSX by dragging it, how do I get the associated files back where they belong? I wasn't sure if the program would create new files once I started the program again or what. I removed a program and it had some associated files with it but I don't know where they went and have since deleted them.

What do ya do in a situation like this?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mostly putting an application back from the Trash into the Applications folder will suffice, but sometimes bigger software relies on some files it has stored in the Library/Application Support folder, and then a reinstall should work.

Out of curiosity, why would you put apps into the Trash, and later decide to put them back? It's not about saving some MBs on your HDD, or so.

3. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I am trying to figure out if a program I have might be causing spinning beach balls. I seem to get them once a day so that my brand new macbook [1 week] won't respond to anything.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you looked at the Activity Monitor (don't forget to Show All Processes) and seen what process might be causing high CPU usage or even a "not responding" message behind the process name?

[​IMG]

5. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

My laptop is using unusable when it happens. So I can't select anything.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then deleting an application and putting it into the Trash won't help much, as it may be, that the process is still running.

You have to empty the Trash.

Can you tell us what software you installed before the problems began?

Maybe you can give us a screen shot of all the running process with the help of Grab (Applications > Utility) or with CMD + SHIFT + 4 (for selecting the area you want to screenshot), and we might be able to tell you what process could cause that spinning beach balls.

7. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Here's a screen shot. It is my first using a mac!

Attached Files:

8. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

here's the bottom portion.

Attached Files:

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Could you also post the bottom half of that list?

edit: seems I was impatient. I will take a look now.

But what I already found, is that you have AppCleaner and AppTrap installed. Two applications for the same purpose, that might conflict.

EDIT 2:

Seems all the processes seem to be fine, except those App thingies.

Have you tried Repairing Permissions yet?
    [​IMG]

10. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes per a MacRumor's member this morning. I did the Repair Disk Permissions first and then I did the Repair Disk.

Everything today seems to be running fine since doing those things. I'll get rid of the AppCleaner right now.

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd actually get rid of AppTrap instead. It's not as good, and doesn't give you the option of canceling the action when you prepare to move all the files to the Trash.