Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I was just wondering. Is it REALLY impossible to get visual voicemail unless you sign on to an iPhone tariff and activate legitimately?. I use to think the only reason it didn't work was because non legit networks simply don't support it.

What if you for example you have an iPhone thats unlocked but still have a non-iPhone but 'normal' ATT/O2-UK/T-Mobile Germany tariffs with unlimited data (EDGE) add-ons. Is there still a reason it shouldn't work? after all these networks support VV right so what's the problem?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The big reason for paying the "tariff" (I don't understand where that comes from) is that Visual Voice Mail requires use of the EDGE network to get the information. The monthy charge gives you unlimited use of the EDGE nework, so unless you want to pay to check your voicemail the legitimate service is the way to go.

TEG

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Yeah but what if a normal non-iPhone tariff (UK term for service Plans) is inclusive of unlimited EDGE as well as free voicemail just like a normal iPhone tariff. The phone should be able to get the Vmail from EDGE as per normal and voicemail is free....so....i fail to still see the issue ?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
If you are on a carrier that has visual voicemail it should work. Otherwise you are SOL, because it does require software on the carrier's end.

TEG

munroe

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Ireland
It's quite possible that the carrier has to enable it for your account, and won't do so without the proper tariff/plan.

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
It's quite possible that the carrier has to enable it for your account, and won't do so without the proper tariff/plan.

In the UK on O2, if you don't have a proper iPhone tariff then you can't get Visual Voicemail - I am almost 100% certain that this is a facility which is only enabled on the iPhone tariffs (though I'm sure that if you could get O2 to switch it on, it would work, but your chances of that are *very* slim given that they have refused me technical support in the past when they've detected that I'm using an iPhone without an iPhone tariff).

Alec

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.