About Watching .Vob Files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by emperoruriel, Mar 8, 2008.

1. emperoruriel macrumors member

From what I read (since I am new to Macs), it is quite possible to play Video_TS folders in Apple DVD player and Front Row.

I wonder though, is it possible to watch .vob files on Front Row. Some of my early experiments allowed me to create these files, and I played them on Intervideo. Since I am switching or should I say have switched, I wonder do I have to rerip the DVDs to Video_TS folders or could I play my .vob files?

I simply cannot find the answer and if I find something related, the information uses the older Mac operating systems like Tiger and not leopard.

I thank you for answering the question.

2. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Couldn't you just put the .VOB files in a folder named VIDEO_TS. Then open Disk Utility> File> New> Disk Image From Folder. Then select the VIDEO_TS folder and choose Image Format DVD/CD master, with no encryption. Then double click the image that you created (to mount it). Then...and I'm not sure if this works...perhaps Front Row will play it?

3. emperoruriel thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much for answering. In fact I would love to try out your method but the truth is I have not received the Mac Laptop yet. I am doing all my research before I receive the Laptop so I can be "prepared":D

That method sounds genius. I could have never thought of it myself as it seems beautifully simple. As they say, the most complex of answers are the simple ones.

4. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

If you don't NEED to use front row, don't...

www.videolan.org and get VLC media player. It will play .vob files straight away.

Additionally, there's a program you can get (or several) that you can program your apple remote to work with other apps and do other things, I don't personally have an apple remote because I have a powerbook, and therefore don't use FrontRow, but I've managed without it for 3.5 years. Most people I know don't even use front row much.

But yea, def. get VLC.

5. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

I would also recommend VLC, and you can use the Apple remote with it too :)

6. seanylala macrumors newbie

Thanks for that attempt. Cheers for that.

However, I tried this method, and unfortunately, it doesn't work. The Start page of the movie featured as a still in which it appeared the user can select their language for the movie. But otherwise no action was able to be generated. The page was in a still and frozen state which would not play.

NB: this could have to do with the ripping method (MacTheRipper) used for the particular dvd during which delete / pad requests were made by the MacTheRipper software for bogus sectors on the DVD.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Simplest most effective program for macs... anyone who actually has experience with effective software. Cheers

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Try Plex, very effective at playing vow files.