? about Windows 7 on my two iMacs

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by The.316, Sep 4, 2010.

1. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

I just received my copy of Windows 7. My question is, can I install it on both of my iMacs, or can I only install it on my 27 incher? I ask because if I install it on my 27 incher, with the serial, can I use the same serial on my older 20 incher?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No. The serial will be tied to the hardware of the first machine you install it on.

3. theheyes macrumors regular

It depends on which version you bought. If you have an OEM version (which is not designed for this purpose anyway) it will be tied to the first motherboard you install it on and is non-transferable.

If you bought the retail version you can install it on the 20" or the 27" any time you wish but not both at the same time.

4. jamied95 macrumors 6502

I think, technically, you can install it however many time you want, however it would be both morally wrong and unlawful. If this is right, Microsoft do it so that if one of your computer dies, you can transfer the license to a different one, at least that's what they do with Office! Have a go, see what happens!