?? about WINDOWS 7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mac-key, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum. But this is where I spend the majority of my time since I have an 09 uMBP.

Anyway, I need to get windows 7 because I need Quick books. And EVERY review I've read said QB for MACs SUCK!

So my question is - where would you guys suggest I get windows 7? Would ebay be a good option? I'm looking to get the 64-bit home edition - and it's like 170 bucks. Any place you guys know of that would be cheaper??

Just curious to get your thoughts and opinions...

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Student or know any university students in the US? y/n

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Well, you'd need something like Boot Camp or Parallels in order to run Windows 7 on your Mac, if you didn't know already.

As to buying a copy, I'd stay away from places like eBay because you can never know whether they're actually legit or not. A lot of Windows software is expensive, like MS Office, but I don't really know anywhere else. There may be other places, but I wouldn't go to eBay unless you really trusted the seller.

4. Mac-key thread starter macrumors 6502a

yep, I'll be doing it through bootcamp.

I figured that about ebay - i just hate to drop 170 bucks to run 1 friggin' program, but that's life right:)

5. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

6. itripped macrumors member

buy an OEM version for about $100 at your local computer retailer. It's legit, but comes without the fancy box. The only caveat is that it will only work on the one computer you install it to (ie. your mbp) You won't be able to install it and validate on a different comp.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Ditto about the student discount if you can get it for $30, otherwise, yes an OEM will be good.

Also OP, don't take this the wrong way but regardless where you spend the majority of your time on MR, you are required to post in the correct forum, "Windows on the Mac".This thread has nothing to do with Mac notebooks. :cool:

8. Mac-key thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the info.

and no worries, i'm not taking anything the wrong way - i'll look around the forum a little better next time before posting