About workflow in aperture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by raherlo, Dec 4, 2011.

1. raherlo macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am a new aperture user, so can anyone explain me the best or a good workflow in aperture since import RAW from camera until the jpg export?

Thanks a lot,

2. Keleko macrumors 68000

When I import after each shooting session, I create a new project for each one and rename it to be descriptive of the event. I also put the date in the project name. I sort them by year and then month and then event day or event if more than one per day.

I then go through all the pictures and mark the ones that don't immediately suck (out of focus, bad composition, poorly exposed, etc) with 1 star. Sometimes that is all I need since I'm just trying to find ones worth keeping. This is usually a fast run-through. I'll also delete master and preview of any obviously crap photos. If I need to further weed down to "the best", I'll go another round with 2, 3 and even 4 stars to get the best ones. I won't start applying adjustments until I have 2 or 3 stars on the pictures, unless I stop at the 1 star level.

Once I've found the ones worth keeping I'll usually toss any of the still-unrated pictures. I personally don't feel like keeping ones that I didn't like since they'll just waste disk space. If I have very similar duplicate pictures (high speed frame rates or multiples of the same to make sure I got it) I'll also toss the worst and keep the best.

On all the kept photos I'll apply some sort of caption for what the event was. I'll also put in metadata tags to help with sorting the pictures later. I'll often make a smart album of the best pictures of an event that I can sync with my iPad and iPhone to show to others.

3. raherlo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much,
    I like making an album with the better photos idea to sync with other machines. and how do you have masters, referenced or managed???