ABP Safari Ineffective?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by airattack111, Jul 31, 2014.

1. airattack111 macrumors member

I've been using every browser other than safari for the past few years. (Firefox, Chrome, and Opera). I recently switched back to safari after reformatting my hard disk.

The extension Ad Block Plus which worked extremely well in Opera and Chrome, is now giving me problems in safari. I never had to worry about Pandora ads, Youtube ads, or any kind of random pop-up. It just worked perfectly. In safari I will randomly get youtube and pandora ads with this extension. (Using the default Flash youtube.. not HTML5)

Is there a better extension for safari? I like using this browser because when on the battery it seems to stay a little cooler and I get a little more battery life compared to the other webkit browsers.

2. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Is this different than than one on Apple's Safari Extensions page?

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It's the same one. Different than ABP OP mentioned though.

4. Mr. Amiga500 macrumors regular

Mr. Amiga500

I'm having a problem with this too. I was using Firefox with Adblock Plus and I never saw those annoying Youtube popups or video ads. Sadly, latest versions of Firefox have extremely jerky scrolling on my MacBook Pro so I switched to Safari. I've tried Adblock Plus, AdBlock (one mentioned by Weaselboy) and a few others, but I still keep getting those damn video ads! Help!

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There was mention of YT ads in the last couple release notes for Adblock, so you might try again if you were on the older version. I'm not getting YT ads at all.

6. Mr. Amiga500 macrumors regular

Mr. Amiga500

I'm using 2.7.10. I still get Youtube popups and video ads. Adblock is enabled and filters are up to date.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

As I think on it... I am also using the YouTube5 extension, so that may be what is blocking them for me.

8. airattack111 thread starter macrumors member

I'm using the Youtube flash player as the html5 player seems to be a hit or miss (in my situation). I usually only get ads if I click the related videos as this doesn't allow the page to reload. It's the pandora ads I hate the most. Also if I'm on the pirate bay I get pop up ads. Using the latest opera browser I never saw any ads whatsoever with Adblock Plus.

I'll give Adblock a try..

9. viizi macrumors regular

I just switched to Chrome after years of battling with Adblock for safari. It has like a 20% chance to block youtube videos. I held out for years waiting for them to get on top of this but it never happened. Each time I installed different versions looking for a fix it was giving me that donation thing and I thought to myself. This guy claims he left his job to work on Adblock yet it hasn't worked for years. I don't trust that.

2 hours on chrome, feels like heaven.

Just my 2 cents ;)

10. Mr. Amiga500 macrumors regular

Mr. Amiga500

I'd try Chrome, but I don't trust Google.

Who can you trust these days?

11. viizi, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014

viizi macrumors regular

24 hours on Chrome now

I hate autoplay youtube videos even while you are on a new tab.
    The text seems very weird, the underline for links is intruding on the bottom of the letters in the link. It hasn't crashed on me yet unlike safari which loves to crash but that is due to the flash player I think. Chrome doesn't handle lots of tabs as smoothly as safari does. I prefer when pressing space bar it instantly goes to the next page down while scrolling compared to safari has that animation. That is personal preference though. Chrome feels a bit clunkier but much more useable. I miss safari but I can't go back to it with the youtube video ads, that is just murder to me.

edit: Adblock seems to work superbly while using the HTML5 version of youtube. It fails with flash though.