Absent-minded "putting things away" madness

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Queso, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Queso macrumors G4

I appear to have put the headphones for my iPhone somewhere "safe", which obviously means I have no idea where they now are. Having spent several hours over the years trying to second guess my thought processes when looking for items I was wondering whether anyone else ever puts things in weird places without thinking. An example that immediately comes to mind is one day finding my house keys in the fridge :confused:

So, where does your subconscious believe objects should reside?

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I do the same thing, I'll put something somewhere (thinking I'll never forget where I put it because it made sense to put it there), and then I won't find it for days.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I used to do that with my hash. I lost count of the amount I had stashed in ingenious places to stop the kids finding it. :p

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I did that with my passport. I frantically turned the place upside down looking for it when I needed it.

Headphones... hmmmm, I might try drawers for that one.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My desk is somewhat of a mess, with papers and other junk on it, so every now and then I'll dig through it and make the mess even worse looking for my TV remote, thinking it's under some of that mess when it's sitting on the table in front of my TV the entire time, which is where it probably belongs.

7. Xavier macrumors 68020

Not really a problem for me.

I am somewhat of a neat freak (but not crazy) and never really loose anything after I place it somewhere.

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I do that. And usually, the more distracted I am when I "put it away safe" makes it harder to find later. I hate doing that; but, better than losing my wallet or a $200 pair of glasses altogether I guess :)

9. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Spent ages looking for the TV remote; found it in the dishwasher.

10. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Pre-wash I hope :)

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Though I keep my stuff rather well organized it has happened to me rarely. More often it is when someone else borrows something then puts it back in a different place.

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I used to do the same thing. Good thing when you actually find it and say "That's where I put it" :D

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

How old are you? Since I've hit a certain age I find I can't multitask as well. If I am on a "mission" to to something, and I put something down, I don't register/attend to it, and it's lost.

14. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Yeah I am unbelievably absent-minded!

And I always notice that I find whatever I am looking for in the last place I look.....

15. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

A place for everything and everything in its place. It takes the guesswork out of remembering. At times my hash intake makes my memory sorta hit or miss, it's not as bad as that movie Memento but I do take extra care to have everything where it should be. Most important items such as glasses, spare glasses, phone, keys, hash/hashpipe, wallet, things like that, are always in one of two places, put away or on my person. Any stuff being carried has an assigned pocket. I also only make as much hash as I'm going to use in the next two or three days so I don't lose track of the extra. Big jars of pot are easier to keep track of than little dishes of hash.

16. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

17. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

38. I'd like to think it's not quite past it yet, but when things like this happen I do wonder :D

Still not found them BTW, which means it's a random put-down-someplace rather than anything logical.

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I tend to put things down and forget about them.
    I have found the TV remote in the Fringe and the freezer before after looking for a long time.

Wallet appears in random location along with car keys.
    I am getting better at tossing both on my desk when I get home so it is easier to find them.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Perhaps you should give your Ironimeter™ a tap.

20. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

That one is working fine. It's just that my useless-phrases-that-first-appear-helpful gauge has been building up too much pressure lately, so I had to let it out a bit.

21. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I usually put all my tiny objects like screws, clips, SD cards, and odds-and-ends in my iPhone 3G box. It works out pretty good because of the dividers and a little pit on an end of the box for the screws. Whenever I forget where I put something tiny I just look in there and there it is! :D

22. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

not remembering where I put things used to be a problem for me but years ago I learned that I had to have set rules about where I could allow myself to put things and that's helped immensely

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I wish I knew where they all went, clearly very difficult to locate places.

I'm currently primarily missing my ipod headphones thus borrowing my partner's.

24. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Do you think they've eloped with mine? Or maybe we've stumbled across some white-earbud trafficking operation and our headphones have been sold into slavery somewhere :eek:

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

This is funny on a level that I cannot disclose. LOL :D