Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grimy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
I noticed that the Absinthe jailbreak is at .4 now and when I jailbroke the 4S i used .1.2-2. I did as much research as I could find(minuscule info out there). From my understanding, there is no point to upgrading absinthe versions unless you are having major problems or haven't jailbroken yet. I just want to confirm that there fixes in the latest versions to make a more stable JB(sometimes the 4S has random crashes within programs back to the homescreen).

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I noticed that the Absinthe jailbreak is at .4 now and when I jailbroke the 4S i used .1.2-2. I did as much research as I could find(minuscule info out there). From my understanding, there is no point to upgrading absinthe versions unless you are having major problems or haven't jailbroken yet. I just want to confirm that there fixes in the latest versions to make a more stable JB(sometimes the 4S has random crashes within programs back to the homescreen).

Are you having any issues?
No - don't do anything
Yes - Re-run the Jailbrekaing tool

is that simple.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I'm OCD like that and need the latest, greatest update even if it isn't necessary.

I wish I could shake the notion updates are always better than the program/app they replace.

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
I think I originally used Absinthe v0.3. It seemed to run fine for a few weeks but then I started having a few apps randomly crash. Most notably, Safari. Sometimes opening a link in a new tab would crash, sometimes creating a new bookmark folder would cause a crash. I also had the BiteSMS trial (6.2 beta X), Waze GPS, findme, MobileTerminal and Grocery iQ crash (it was always in the Dispatch queue thread).

Since there are rumors of iOS 5.1 being released soon, I took the time last Friday to start fresh and re-jailbreak with Absinthe v0.4 and load back all of my jailbreak tweaks a few at a time to see if I could find an issue.

It ran fine all weekend (no crashes) with a good amount of my previous tweaks installed. Last night I decided to try out the BiteSMS trial again (v6.2 beta 7) and this morning I had my first new Safari crash. I had just opened Safari and double tapped (zoom to fit) when it crashed.

When I originally jailbroke, I ran it for a few weeks before trying BiteSMS. I don't remember exactly when I first installed it, but it was sometime around when I first started to see apps crashing. It's not looking good for me and BiteSMS, although this new crash happened in a different thread, Webcore: CFNetwork Loader, so who really knows what is causing it??? I'm going to leave BiteSMS installed for a few more days and see what happens. If I see more crashes, I guess I'll remove it and see what happens next. Atleast BiteSMS offered a free trial so I could test this stuff out.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I'm OCD like that and need the latest, greatest update even if it isn't necessary.

I wish I could shake the notion updates are always better than the program/app they replace.

Same here. I've updated redsn0w to the latest versions for ibook fixes even though I don't even use ibooks on my phone.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld

Is that so? Then you should stay away from JB cause you will always be late for the latest, greatest update from Apple even if it's isn't necessary.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Is that so? Then you should stay away from JB cause you will always be late for the latest, greatest update from Apple even if it's isn't necessary.
Thanks for the tap on the shoulder, but I've been jailbreaking since day one and have learned to work through the pain.

ryguy2303

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2009
I had to restore and re-jailbreak today and using the original Mac version, the jailbreak would not work. Currently trying my luck with .4 version.

EDIT, after trying about 4 times it is still not working. I follow the instructions which say to unlock the screen and tap Absinthe to finish. But I keep getting "VPN Connection - A configuration error occurred" after doing that. Can anyone help, please?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
I had to restore and re-jailbreak today and using the original Mac version, the jailbreak would not work. Currently trying my luck with .4 version.

EDIT, after trying about 4 times it is still not working. I follow the instructions which say to unlock the screen and tap Absinthe to finish. But I keep getting "VPN Connection - A configuration error occurred" after doing that. Can anyone help, please?

Restore to stock, than use absinthe, after all is finished restore from your backup in itunes

MonkeyBrainz

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2012

Go to your settings and turn VPN on (settings > general > network) and immediately open Absinthe afterwards. If it doesn't work, quit Absinthe and try it again. It's a bit finicky so you might have to do it a few times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.