Absinthe still showing as a process in 5.1 iOS?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Netherscourge, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Netherscourge macrumors 6502

I was wondering...

I restored my previously Jailbroken 4S to 5.0.1 and then upgraded to 5.1 a couple weeks ago.

I just installed Battery Doctor to monitor the battery drain levels and noticed something interesting...

According to the running processes list in Battery Doctor, I still have "absinthed.N94" as a running process on my 4S, which is currently running iOS 5.1.

Is this a bug that is still showing up as a process even after a device Restore AND an official upgrade?

Or is this nothing to be concerned about?

Does that process have anything to do with the Absinthe Jailbreak? Or is it related to something else?

I Googled around and saw it linked to Siri on a few forums, but nobody really confirmed anything.

Thanks.

2. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

Prob a file that got carried over from upgrade. It has already been proven that apple closed the vulnerability used in 5.0/5.0.1 so the JB doesn't work on 5.0.1

3. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

But if he restored to factory settings and didn't use a backup then shouldn't there be no files carried over?

Did you set it up as a new phone or restore from a backup after restoring Netherscourge?

4. Netherscourge thread starter macrumors 6502

It was like this:

1. Jail-broke iPhone 4S on iOS 5.0.1 using Absinthe. Stayed JB'd for a couple weeks. Didn't install anything crazy - just SBSSettings, Weather Icon and 5-Icon Dock. That's was it.

2. I then restored to Official iOS 5.0.1. a couple weeks afterward - I used a backup saved to hard drive to restore settings/contacts/etc... (Had to re-install all my songs, apps, movies, etc...myself through iTunes afterward)

3. I then upgraded to iOS 5.1 a couple days later when it was released, with the Over the Air option.

Everything runs fine. I do NOT have Cydia on my iPhone, since it's not Jailbroken anymore. But I DO have that "absinthed.N94" process running on my 4S and it's been running since I rebooted my iPhone 4S six days ago, according to the Battery Doctor App. (I have a ton of other processes running too, but this one just caught my attention because of it's name)

Just wondering if this is just a "leftover" from the Jailbreak that's still loading up with the iOS, but is technically not doing anything because Apple most likely "fixed" the JB exploit in the last update?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It carrier over when you restored from backup.

6. Netherscourge thread starter macrumors 6502

So, it's still loading, but not actually doing anything?

7. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah that's probably what happened. This is why I took note of when my last backup was right before jailbreaking in case I ever do decide to go back to stock.

8. Netherscourge thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it harmless to leave it there?

Or would I be better off doing a clean restore to prevent any potential bugs or other issues?

9. batting1000 macrumors 604

Mine has the absinthe process too. I'm stock on 5.1 and I didn't restore from backup, I restored as new.

----------

Yeah, should we do a clean restore?

10. batting1000 macrumors 604

11. justinwebb macrumors regular

yes because bumping your thread after 20 mins really makes a difference, do it anyways wont matter either way.

12. batting1000 macrumors 604

13. tateu macrumors 6502

You said you already restored as new.

14. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

This ^^

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If I needed stuff on my backup I'd leave it there. I doubt its doing anything anyway. If you dont care about losing old texts or other stuff restore again and setup as new.
    And there's no way the process is there if someone restored and setup as new phone.
    This will only carry over if you restore from a previous JB backup.

And BTW, we're all here to help eachother out but we also have lives, jobs and families outside of this forum.
    So if you didnt get a reply give it some time, patience is a virtue;)

16. macmanwa macrumors newbie

macmanwa

The absinthed.N94 process is Siri, it is not an artifact of jailbreaking your phone.

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It isn't Siri. It runs on all iOS 5 devices, not just the 4S. Neat thing about the LaunchDaemon for it on the iPad 1. It has a LimitLoadToHardware dictionary like the other devices, but it has an iPad0,1 value and an iPad1,1 value.

18. macmanwa macrumors newbie

macmanwa

Actually it is a part of Siri. I'm not sure why that daemon is in iOS5 for other devices (non 4S--unless someone jailbroke them and tried to hack Siri onto the device), but if you turn off Siri and reboot your phone, you'll see the absinthed.N94 process no longer runs on the phone. When you turn Siri back on, the process reappears.

If you Google, you'll find lots of threads about the process and people trying to get the .plist for it on their phones (non 4S models) to try and get Siri running. When you extract Apple's Siri packages, the absinthed.NXX plist is inside. It is not from jailbreaking your phone.

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It isn't a part of Siri, it has to do with FairPlay. The .N94 one from the 4S is needed for Siri because it is the binary that knows how to work with Siri's FairPlay. The other absinthed.XXX binaries don't have the Siri stuff. Only the AirPlay and media playback code.