Absinthe unlock question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by joeblogs1, Jun 14, 2012.

1. joeblogs1 macrumors newbie

Hi excuse my newbish post in advance, I'm usually an android user so today has been a new experience from me.

I acquired an iPhone but didn't have the passcode therefore was required to do a reset.

I didn't have an alternative sim to activate the phone so used the original carrier 's sim for this purpose, although I do not wish to use this carrier.

I successfully jailbroke the phone, which is an iPhone 4s 16gb on 5.1.1 using absinthe 2.0.4, or at least I never came across any problems and have access to cydia, although I am fairly ignorant to its functionality. I was infact surprised that you had to pay for their products.

Apologies for the long windedness of this post in getting to my point, though Ithought I should set the scene, but as it is now jailbroke will I be able to use another carrier if I order a microsim now? And if so will this be possible on UK carriers. There seems to be next to no information available on absinthe in regards to UK usage. Again I am completely new to the iPhone and infact all apple products.

If I've went in the wrong direction I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right one as I've spent a whole day getting to my current situation.

Regards.

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You "acquired" an iPhone but didn't know pass code. Sounds fishy !

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, sounds like you bought a stolen phone either knowingly or not.
    But besides that Absinthe is not an unlock. Its just a JB.
    There is no software unlock for it, but there is a gevey sim adapter that unlocks that baseband.
    http://www.applenberry.com/gevey-ultra-s-gsm/

4. joeblogs1, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

joeblogs1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot, I received the phone from an Indian friend who's daughter (the phone owner) moved to Dubai on work and had no need for it. Unfortunately I only received the phone with no passcode, etc.

I briefly had a look at a few sites selling these, it's definitely not a scam? I can simply plug this in the phone, it unlocks to all networks and then simply insert any sim card? If so will it then be locked to that network? If this works it's priceless info and I'm in your debt (saved me countless hours this weekend lol)

Kind regards.

Just to add this site http://www.uk-mobilestore.co.uk/products/Gevey-Ultra-S-Unlock-iPhone-4S.html sell them pretty cheap. Elsewhere they seem quite expensive, would you consider this a bargain or fishy? Thanks again.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

6. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Why do you ask your "Indian friend's daughter" for the passcode?

7. joeblogs1 thread starter macrumors newbie

As mentioned they moved to Dubai, I assumed they would have more important issues to attend to having recently resided there. I did drop him a friendly e-mail, popping the question at the end, but unfortunately he has not got back to me. But to revert back to my original point, I do not wish to use this carrier anyway so unlocking (for other carrier use) will be necessary. The unlocking of the pass code is old news, though I thank you for your concern.

I trust this sufficiently answers your question and clarifies my position.

Regards.

----------

Indeed they are! Acha din!

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    I dont think he mean that type of Indians (native Americans) :D
    The Indians with the dot on the head.

[​IMG]

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

yeah I figured just find it amusing when people say my black friend or white friend Indian friends etc.. my friends are my friends regardless of race or skin. Any way I was just having fun! :D BTW your Indian does certainly look better then mine AJ..;)

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hell yeah, you should see my chinese friend:D

[​IMG]

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

Now that's a friend to kick it with. Hey you wanna friend swap for abet? here is my Brazilian Friend!

[​IMG]

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

13. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

15. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Why are you friends with a fish?