Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Two 512MB FB-DIMMs with full heatsinks? Where?

Did you read his original post? DMS. Here is the one he was talking about. DMS is a terrific vendor...they know Macs in and out, guarantee their products to work in Macs, and stand behind everything they sell.

I have no hesitation in recommending DMS. Same goes for CanadaRAM...you'd be hard-pressed to find someone here who knows more about RAM than he does.

TheFuzz

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2006
LA
Did you read his original post? DMS. Here is the one he was talking about. DMS is a terrific vendor...they know Macs in and out, guarantee their products to work in Macs, and stand behind everything they sell.

I have no hesitation in recommending DMS. Same goes for CanadaRAM...you'd be hard-pressed to find someone here who knows more about RAM than he does.

is that a special deal? it seems if you go under mac pro and then select the 2x512 kit it directs you here, and these don't have the large heatsink.

tehsuck

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2006
I too bought 2x512mb Apple memory off ebay for ~$210 + shipping from ebay member macpartsandbits and the whole transaction went smoothly. RAM works great!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
is that a special deal? it seems if you go under mac pro and then select the 2x512 kit it directs you here, and these don't have the large heatsink.

I can't figure out how to get to the page you linked...other than clicking directly on it, obviously.

I go to DMS's page, click on Mac Pro, choose any model, and I get a list of RAM options, one of which is my original link. It's the only 2 x 512 MB kit I see on the page.

Harbl

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2006
MemorySolutions has a 1GB kit with large heat sinks for $205.

http://www.memorysolutions.com/macpromemory.html

MacSolutions BTW is the same company and humorously sells the exact same memory for $217 (the other memory kits are also more expensive compared to MemorySolutions). I've bought other stuff from them in the past though and they were always reliable.

http://www.macsolutions.com/newmacprome.html

OWC is also selling Apple original 1GB kit pulls from memory trade-ins for $195.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/53FBD1GBPAIR/

OWC also sells the same 1GB kit above with the blue heatsinks for $248.

Transintl offers an XLR8YOURMAC special for 2GB (2x1GB) and 4GB (2x2GB or 4x1GB) kits. Go to Accelerate Your Mac's page and click on the Transintl specials link below the square picture. Their special price is currently $398 and $798 respectively.

MemorySolutions currently has the cheapest 4GB kit. Two prices are listed; $780 (which has a typo as it should be 4x1GB) and $752 for the 2x2GB kit.

All of these prices are for FB-DIMM's with the larger heat sink.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5

The gotta-have-a-ginormous-heatsink issue is a red herring promulgated by one RAM vendor. It doesn't have to be large and finned. It DOES have to be correctly designed to do the job. The Wintech modules with the heavy, flat heatsink were tested by Barefeats.com and found to be within 1 degree F of Apple's stock RAM. I have tested them myself for 24 hours straight with Rember, with no errors.

Here is the information from the page referenced:
"These FBDIMMs fit within Apple's environmental guidelines. They are Intel Certified for use in Xeon servers and Intel multi-CPU motherboards. They have been extensively tested on MacPro machines internally as well as at independent test labs. They have passed all tests to date. They do not cause excessive fan noise."

I have also read reports of large finned heatsinks from some vendors so poorly machined that they don't contact the chips that they are supposedly cooling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.