(Absolute Disaster)-Trouble With Apps After Clean Install to Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by peacetrain67, Dec 21, 2007.

1. peacetrain67 macrumors member

Alrite, I know everyone's having trouble with Apps and Leopard. Hell, I first had a few situations and eventually they told me (Apple Support via phone) that I have to do a clean install after about 5 hours of hold. So, I back everything up [That I thought I needed: Music, Videos, FireFox, and Adium]. Those are the majority I had downloaded since the original applications that came with it (Things that I didn't have saved info on or couldn't get again for the internet)...
    Anyways...
    I do the clean install and when it's finished up I end up without iLife 08, iLife 07, or any iLife for that matter. On top of that, as expected I lost all other applications. The problem was, I didn't expect to lose iLife. I don't know why but I assumed they would stick with the computer. Well, I lost both iLife 07 and iLife 08. Luckily enough, my brother has a MacBook Pro (Same as me), and has iLife 08 also. Unfortunately, when I copied the apps from his comp to mine that I needed (Basically iLife and Microsoft Word as well as other Microsoft Apps that aren't necessities though). I don't know why I didn't copy the Microsoft Apps as well. Well, I bring those Apps on over to my computer and I have had a few successes and a few failures. The failures are the necessities though. I got iPhoto and iWeb over. The Apps I NEED (Let me emphasize need), are not working properly in a variety of ways.
    First, Microsoft Word (All Microsoft Apps, but I'll just use Word as an example), doesn't open properly. When I attempt to open it it comes up with this message: "Microsoft Word cannot load the Microsoft Office shared libraries. The files may have been moved from their original locations. Try the following: -Move Word back to the Microsoft Office folder (or the folder where it was originally installed). -Reinstall Word to make sure that all the files are installed correctly." I don't know what I need to do to solve that, (hopefully just move Word into a different folder? I'm okay with Macs but everything has gotten over my head with this stuff).
    Second, when I try to open GarageBand I am left with this unpleasant message, "Instrument Library is invalid! The Instrument Library is invalid. GarageBand expects a valid Instrument Library folder in /Library/Application Support/GarageBand. Please choose a valid Instrument Library folder or quit and re-install GarageBand. For what it matters, I had an expansion pack for GarageBand that my brother got also. I have copied all my brother's loops but still no prevail no matter where I place the loops. I haven't exactly ben able to locate the requested folder tho, and I'm not sure if I need to make it a special way. That's only part two of three.
    Finally, the most important, is a situation I am having with iMovie. This, I am sure, is not unheard of due to the fact that iMovie 08 basically blows: I use iMovie HD as well as iMovie 08 for different projects and for parts of projects. This is a necessity by Sunday to be fixed. I have things to do for personal reasons and school reasons that I need this to be fixed. I have the footage backed up though on my external in the form of a iMovie 08 Event (iMovie 08 is what I desperately need to return the footage to). So, here's what is says when I open the iMovie 08 I brought via external from my brother's computer: "Missing QuickTime Components. The Quicktime components necessary to view, edit, import, and export several kinds of movies are not installed. These components are included with the iMovie installer; please re-install." For iMovie HD, I am given this message, "Missing HD QuickTime Component. The QuickTime component necessary to view, edit, import and export high-definition movies is not installed. It is included with the iMovie HD installer; please re-install."
    I was not given an installer for iMovie HD because it originally came on my MacBook Pro. Also, the Microsoft Disc and iLife 08 Disc are M.I.A. (Trust me, I've spent hours looking). PLEASE, I am desperate for help A.S.A.P. Thanks ahead of time, feel free to ask any questions, too. I'm good at following directions (Enough to hack my 1.1.2 iPhone as well as 2 more that belong to some of my friends). So, hopefully there's a solution because I am ****ing desperate and have been freaking out two days and this is basically my last hope since Apple Support sucks and I don't know where the discs are. Thanx

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

First of all, your post is a mess. And I am gonna wing it on answering your question based on your subject title.

Anyway, why a clean install!!! Should have just done the upgrade. The clean install made a new System folder and all of your components and prefs and everything are in the old System Folder, not an easy task to move stuff over. About all your apps, I don't know what you're trying to say.

Rewrite your post and let's try this again.

3. peacetrain67 thread starter macrumors member

yeah sorry i was kinda rambling. I had to clean install it because my apps kept shutting down as well as it ran slow as hell. I cleaned up from 3 gb of hd to 50 gb. The biggest reason was that I had no space, really but I remembered a time it ran so much smoother and wanted to get that back, which I have minus the app problems.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Complicated Apps Like the iLife suite and the Office suite cannot just be copied over from another machine. You have to use the appropriate installers as they need to install things like system libraries.

You will find iLife on the disks that came with your mac. As for office, if you had it before then it must mean you have the disks, so why not just install it again.

5. peacetrain67 thread starter macrumors member

I dont have the discs. So, am I SOL or what? I got some iLife apps working (iPhoto and iWeb). I can get Miscrosoft back from from a friend with a Family Pack. BUT, the big issue is both iMovies and theres nothing I can do for that w/out the discs?

6. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Exactly.

For those out there who may not know, when some software installs on any computer, Mac is no different, various system files are updated outside the application to use or extend code used within the operating system. Trying to backup/copy bits and pieces manually doesn't work - good applications have export/backup capabilities which means your data. However, the system files are not backed up.

What this infers is, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

This user should have upgraded, instead for various reasons did a clean install which is fine - but all the applications listed in this topic so far should have been re-installed from the original distribution CD (which installs all the proper system files, default data). After that the user restores from their backup data, which as I noted should have been exported via the apps own utilities.

The support people probably thought you exported in that way, not the way you actually did it, with the disk space limitations and all that. I got confused just reading your post, after 3 attempts at it. If you talked to them like you write, they would have reacted the same.

I wish you the best of success and enjoy your new OS when you get all this worked out.

-jim

7. peacetrain67 thread starter macrumors member

Edited Down Post:
    I had to do a clean install for a bunch of reasons, mostly to clean out space. I backed everything up but forgot to back-up iLife (I assumed that since those were Apple Apps they would stay). Also, I forgot to back up Microsoft Word. I ended up without iLife 08 or iLife 07. Luckily enough, my brother has a MacBook Pro (Same as me), and has iLife 08 also. Unfortunately, when I copied the apps from his comp to mine (via external harddrive) that I needed, they had problems. I got iPhoto and iWeb over and they are working fine.

The Apps I NEED (Let me emphasize need), are not working properly in a variety of ways.
    When I attempt to open Microsoft Word it comes up with this message: "Microsoft Word cannot load the Microsoft Office shared libraries. The files may have been moved from their original locations. Try the following: -Move Word back to the Microsoft Office folder (or the folder where it was originally installed). -Reinstall Word to make sure that all the files are installed correctly."

Second, when I try to open GarageBand I am left with this unpleasant message, "Instrument Library is invalid! The Instrument Library is invalid. GarageBand expects a valid Instrument Library folder in /Library/Application Support/GarageBand. Please choose a valid Instrument Library folder or quit and re-install GarageBand." I have copied all my brother's loops but still no success no matter where I place the loops.

Finally, the most important, is a situation I am having with iMovie. Since iMovie 08 basically blows: I use iMovie HD as well as iMovie 08 for different situations. I have the footage backed up though on my external in the form of an iMovie 08 Event. So, here's what is says when I open the iMovie 08: "Missing QuickTime Components. The Quicktime components necessary to view, edit, import, and export several kinds of movies are not installed. These components are included with the iMovie installer; please re-install."

For iMovie HD, I am given this message, "Missing HD QuickTime Component. The QuickTime component necessary to view, edit, import and export high-definition movies is not installed. It is included with the iMovie HD installer; please re-install."

I was not given an installer for iMovie HD because it originally came on my MacBook Pro (As far as I'm concerned). Also, the Microsoft Disc and iLife 08 Disc are missing. (Trust me, I've spent hours looking). I have access to my brother's MacBook Pro all the time.

PLEASE, I am desperate for help A.S.A.P. Thanks ahead of time. So, hopefully there's a solution because I am ****ing desperate and have been freaking out two days and this is basically my last hope since Apple Support sucks and I don't know where the discs are. Thanx

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Exactly. You need to reinstall everything OP. Nothing we can really do to help you out.

9. peacetrain67 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the help jim. at least I understand what I did wrong. So I got to go on a mad hunt for these things I guess. I've spent a few hours already but I guess that isn't enough.

10. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

You need the discs. That's really the end of the story, frankly.

Did iLife '08 come with your computer? If so, use your System Restore DVD to re-install the applications that came with it. Remember: iLife is NOT a part of OS X, so it's not included with Leopard. It either comes pre-installed on your Mac (which means it's on your system restore DVDs) or separately in a retail package.

If you reinstall iLife from your System restore DVDs, remember you're NOT TRYING TO RESTORE YOUR WHOLE SYSTEM. That will restore Tiger onto your machine, which is what I assume you're trying to avoid, having upgraded to Leopard and all.

As for Office, you have to reinstall it from the disc. If you don't have the disc, tough. Find it.

11. peacetrain67 thread starter macrumors member

No I started on Tiger and iLife '07. I would like to get back iMovie HD because iMovie '08 basically blows. I think I know where I could find all the Tiger discs so then i could get iMovie '08 but I need to find iLife and Microsoft I guess then.

12. dvd macrumors regular

dvd

You can get the old pre-iLife'08 "iMovie HD" directly from Apple here

The rest you're gonna need your original media for, as mentioned in other posts. Good luck!

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Clean Install?

To the OP: When you said you did a "clean install" what did you actually do? I'm reading your posts and it sounds more like an Archive and Install. If did that then that's not a clean install. You have to choose the erase and install option for a clean install. If you did Archive and Install that is most likely the reason for your troubles, there should be no reason to be having major issues if you did a full clean install unless you have installed some 3rd party apps that are not Leopard ready yet.

14. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You're right that your problems were likely because you had no HD space. Try to keep 10% of your HD free for OS X to work in. Just clearing the space would probably have been enough to stop everything crashing.

15. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i think thats just about sums up your answer there. you cant expect applications to work by just copying the application over as most people have said above.

im sure you already know now that iLife '08 and iLife '06 (no such thing as iLife '07) dont come on a retail Mac OS X install DVD but it does come on the second grey restore DVD that came with your macbook pro.

these DVDs are very important and you must not loose them. the only way you can get iLife is to reinstall it as it would be impossible to copy over all the system files from /System and /Library from your brothers computer.

16. X2THEBOX macrumors newbie

Try and visit the Apple Store.

While granted, a simple DVD reinstall is probably the average users best option, if you are willing to put your morals a side, a flash drive and a trip to the Apple store nearest you couldn't hurt.

Everyone is talking about copying over the INSTALLER files. What a waste. Take a shortcut and just COPY THE FILES THAT GET INSTALLED when you install iLife.
    To review: Go to the Apple store, open finder on one of the many macs in the store, find the system files you need. Insert flash drive. Copy and Paste. Walk out. Don't get caught. This works. Very well. I know because I heard of someone doing it.

Furthermore, you really should clone your DVDs as they are the proverbial "ultimate backup."

Good luck. If all else fails, try Limewire.

17. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

LimeWire for this purpose is ILLEGAL and so it that "trip to the apple store" as well. The best option is to find the two gray discs that came in a gray box with white lettering "Designed by Apple in California". Inside you will find two clear plastic disc sleeves with the discs inside. Those discs have OS X Tiger/Leopard depending on the computer's age, as well as iLife and other software. Copying those app over like you did with an external drive won't work. Good luck!

18. machomer macrumors regular

Did the Tiger Disc and other install discs come in a box with a MBP purchase? I found the Tiger Install CD, but can't find the other disc. I need help on what to look for, box, or just sleeves?