Absolute minimal install of OS X 10.6.8.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Patman72, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Patman72 macrumors newbie

Does anyone how to do an absolute minimal install of 10.6.8.
    Without any apps at all, just the bare operating system?

Is it possible to modify the installer or do a manual install if you unhide the hidden files?

I have searched for this but can´t find any step by step guides for it.

There is a industrial windows XP version, I want the same in snow leopard.

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

OS X does not try to serve the industrial or embedded market, so they have no such minimal install.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I don't know of such a thing, either.

What is it you're trying to accomplish with such an install?

4. Patman72 thread starter macrumors newbie

I want maximum stability, a fast operating system and a quick startup.
    I only use the computer for ProTools (studio recording/mixing) and I imagine that the more slim the osx is the least risk for errors and other apps taking up resources.

I guess there is a reason many digital mixing consoles are using windows embedded and not the regular windows.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

This forum isn't the place to find the best advice for optimizing your Mac for any version of Pro Tools.

Surely there are dedicated forums for such information (such as http://duc.avid.com/ ).

6. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

The only option that I can think of is to install OS X 10.6 from the original disk onto a clean drive (you can do this as part of the installation process if you use the Utilities menu to access Disk Utility) and then run Software Update afterwards to bring it up to OS X 10.6.8. The installation disk that came with my iMac (going up for sale this weekend folks!) just installed OS X (no iLife). However, OS X in itself does include quite a few applications, like Mail and Safari, so you've got no choice but to install them. However, once setup you can certainly customise your Dock for a stripped-down appearance with only the applications you want to use and none of the other OS X application will run unless you actively launch them, so they won't consume resources.

All the above said, I'm not convinced that a "slimmed down" OS X will make the slightest difference in performance/stability unless you actively install/run problem applications or have very little disk space.

7. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I think you're premise is flawed. If you do a clean install of OSX, you should get what you want. Having fewer application on your hard drive will not make your system run any faster.

The reason most likely is they are using a small flash memory device to boot and store the OS and software. For example I have a small embedded computer intended for machine control which was shipped with Win7 embedded because the entire storage capacity is 8GB.
    I, of course, threw the windows out the window on delivery and loaded up linux ;)