Absolutely BAD TIMING to buy any PRO machines

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Alpinism, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Alpinism macrumors regular

boy, its absolutely a BAD TIME TO BUY ANYTHING PRO now. Why ? because the next iteration of apple "Pro" (MP, MBP) would be a revolutionary rather than evolutionary.

*Below are all pure speculation*

a) The MP would probably all come equipped with stock 8 core with updated GPU. This should clearly separate itself from the "consumer" iMac.

b) All the MBP would probably use the new Quad core2 extreme CPU and hopefully stock 256 GPU with bigger HDD

c) Leopard OS. Although the upgrade would be less than $150 (hopefully).

To me (Final cut studio, photoshop, maya user), all of the above are very significant.

The only thing is, nothing will be updated until the new "45" intel CPU is out and it maybe Mac World 2008 before we will see these new REVOLUTIONARY pro machines. And also, you wont get the free Ipod promotion.

2. Tommy Tallarico macrumors member

Tommy Tallarico

So future releases will have better technology.

I'm shocked.

3. Alpinism thread starter macrumors regular

since the new laptop quad chip is completely different, we probably wont see a new MBP till the Developer conference 08. But the MP should be updated soon.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

MBPs are very unlikely to see an update for at least 5 months, people are fine buying them.

5. xtopher macrumors regular

xtopher

well done sir hahahahaah that made me laugh

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They have just made a major MacBook Pro update, changing the chipset and the screens.

So the next MacBook Pro update will likely be a rev. B machine with a 2.8 GHz Extreme CPU update, rather than anything revolutionary.

The MacBook still needs the chipset update (and nothing Extreme), and the Mini will either get refreshed or killed.

7. Alpinism thread starter macrumors regular

man, i hope that dont kill the mini. Its a nice lil box

8. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

I'll be extremely upset if we don't see a MacPro update before Leopard. I have a crap load of stuff that needs hardcore editing, and the G4 just doesn't cut it. I mean, yes, I do have access to a super duper MP at work, but to me, that is slow since I've been working on it a lot. Need something twice as fast as it.

9. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

HAHAHAHAHAHA I needed that laugh to start my weekend.

There will not be a quad-core chip in the MBP in 2008, period. Yes, Intel is making a quad-core "mobile" chip which will be out sometime in 2008, but it is for those beastly 9lb desktop replacement laptops...not a MBP.

I'd really like a good MP update soon, although it would make saving up for one a little more painful knowing the beast is already available.

10. Alpinism thread starter macrumors regular

quad core for mbp and dual core for mac book.

you'll see.

11. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

How'd you pluck that figure for the cost of Leopard?

12. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

there is plenty of separation in the lineup as it is... Intel isn't going to release a chip next year that does what you want it to do. Truly mobile laptops like the macbook and MBP don't really need 4 cores yet. They are a WAYS off.

13. amd4me macrumors 6502

So insightful,....... yet so obvious.:rolleyes:

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Twice as fast? So yer waiting for a 6ghz 16-core machine? ;)
    What you see on TV and at the movies is made on everything from G4's to 8-core MP's so I'm sure there is a Mac available today that will meet your hardcore editing needs.

Lethal

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Might see a simple CPU upgrade, but they may neglect it to death like they did the iMac CRT.

If they don't do anything, or just do a simple CPU upgrade -- the machine is on the way out.

Only a Santa Rosa chipset redo will mean they want to keep it around awhile.

16. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'd be fine with buy a MacBook Pro....as for a Mac Pro, I'd avoid it, as a price drop is likely coming(or the specs will be higher, for less money....but the overall prices will be similar)

17. mavherzog macrumors 6502

Prepare to be extremely upset.

18. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

Sure its a bad time to buy the mac pro... but we all knew that already.
    However its NOT a bad time to buy the MBP. I am very confident that apple wouldn't dare try to stick a Quad or extreme series core 2 duo, as it is barely capable of cooling the 2.4ghz T7700.

As for leopard.. I pay for hardware.

19. Alpinism thread starter macrumors regular

Apple always put the best cpu on their pro machines, and they will continue to do so. PERIOD.

20. NtotheIzoo macrumors regular

I totally agree...Apple will have to change the form factor to accomadate a Quad or Extreme series processor in the MBP. Now maybe it's just wishful thinking since I just ordered my MBP...but with all the heat problems with 2.2 and 2.4's...an extreme or quad will need more fans which then means a bigger chasis and a new form factor...I just dont see it anytime soon maybe next year but I'm guessing it'll be at least 18 months...my 2 cents.

21. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Keeping the MBPs temperature down is more important than offering minimla extra processing performance.

22. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Actually, this is not always the case. Future releases are always advertised to have better technology but do not always have better technology and sometimes even lead to a downgrade. Apple is no exception: if you had a late generation PB, the next technological "leap", the first gen MBP is not always better technology. Try to find where to plug in a FW 800 cable, for example (I mean on the computer, no jokes). Try to plug in a telephone cable (rarely, but it is still sometimes needed, and I do not want to have an extra dongle). First generation bugs are not even mentioned here. All these things completely break a workflow, making the later technology less productive than the earlier one. Of course, later technology introduces many improvements, some even revolutionary, but what's limiting the overal productivity is the slowest, not fastest, element, and that is not always improved.

There are many examples of such "downgrades" in many companies, including Apple. My pointg is that the technology does not always move forward on a short time scale. Sometimes it does take a step backward.

23. Alpinism thread starter macrumors regular

Manufacturers WILL find a way to combat heat. Apple always put top of the line CPU on their pro machines and charge a premium price for it.

So, accordiung to you guys, if no one can control the heat on the new quad core, then Intel must have no customer for its new chip then. :cool: duh

The Quad core laptop chip is not only for 20lbs desktop replacement laptops. BTW, I consider the MBP as a desktop (MP) replacement machine even though it is not HUGE and HEAVY.

24. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

orly? Then what about those years when you all were stuck with G4s in your Powerbooks because Apple couldn't get a G5 in there because it ran too hot?

The MBP isn't a desktop replacement. It's a portable.

If you've seen some of those Dells and Alienware (such as the XPS 17''), you'll see how much thicker the Dell XPS is than the MBP. This is to accommodate cooling and also because Dell sucks at designing.

So, if you want the MBP to be 2 inches thick and 10lbs just to get a 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo in there, then you're dumb. If you really need so much processing power in a "desktop replacement", than just buy a damn desktop.

Also, if you did any research at all about Intel's roadmap, you'll see that there's no way a MBP is getting a quad-core processor before 2009.

25. Alpinism thread starter macrumors regular

The MBP is designed for the pro to use CPU and GPU intensive apps on the road. It is designed to play the role of the MP.

On location, we use duel Express --> PCMCIA adapter to offload footage from Panasonic HPX500 P2 cards straight to FCP. We then do a rough edit and arrage our daillies on FCS. We also use Maya 8.5 on our MBP to show our preliminary work to our clients offsite.

So, if you only surf the web, do your itunes, use a bit of ilife with your MBP, you probably do not know what I am talking about. Plus you are not a "Pro" and the plastic macbook was made to suit "consumer" users like you.