Absolutely impressed!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dean1012, Aug 22, 2008.

1. dean1012 macrumors regular

Hi all,

Just bought my first macbook (and first mac ever) yesterday. I'm not new to macs or mac os though (i've used them many times at the school).

I got the lowest, 2.1 GHz model with stock 1 GB RAM.

I have to admit i'm very impressed! The few games I play on a computer (most games are PS3 for me) are old now and very compatible with the macbook.

It was super easy to get a 15 GB windows xp home installation done and now my windows and mac areas are perfect and ready to go.

I plan to upgrade to 4 GB of RAM sometime before January (found a third party for $95). However, the computer runs much faster with 1 GB RAM than I imagined. Actually, I thought it would run this speed AFTER the upgrade to 4 GB!

So anyways, I thought i'd share my story here.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. RevK macrumors member

I'm glad your happy with it! I have a Mid-2007 MacBook and can only be upgraded to 2GB:( . Oh well... Have a good time with your new MacBook!:D

4. embalmess macrumors member

Congrats! There's nothing like when you love your purchase. I bought a black MacBook this week and it was a lemon, had to take it back and exchange it. This one is good so far! :rolleyes:

5. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

Awesome :), i just upgraded my Macbook 2nd rev with 1gb of RAM to 2gb of ram, and i am lovin it! Its so much faster than i thought and it also runs cooler

EDIT: I was beaten for first response! Wow, other people are fast :)

6. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I remember when I got my first mac (iBook G4). It was really exciting and I was also very impressed. Gratz!!

7. dean1012 thread starter macrumors regular

Ram

Thanks for the link to the offer. I won't have the money till at least October though.

As far as RAM amounts go, I would feel better with 4 GB than 2 GB. Doesn't cost a whole lot to upgrade and you can never have too much.

8. RevK macrumors member

4GB might be a waste, but if the OP gets into video editing with Final Cut Pro/Express then it might come in handy:rolleyes:

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the Forum!
    Hopefully both will be a great experience for you!

Definitely go for the RAM upgrade

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

The only gain you will see with 4GB over 2GB would be that you will be able to run everything you want at the same time, VS having to quit apps.

More specifically you will be able to keep photoshop open in the background and still do everything else on your machine without noticing a slowdown.

If you are not running Photoshop, or some Virtual Machine software (parallels, or vmware) the 2 extra GBs wont help you too much.

11. dean1012 thread starter macrumors regular

actually

i mainly do software development. the 15 GB windows partition houses a copy of visual studio 2005 only.

I was hoping that once I upgrade to 4 GB i will be able to run visual studio 2005 from the bootcamp logical volume using VMWare Fusion. That way I won't have to always reboot just to do some programming.

I believe that 4 GB of RAM will benefit me in multiple ways and, afterall, it is me who is spending the money :D

Thanks for your support everyone! Only one thing bugging me about this macbook - the inability (or at least i havn't figured out how if you can) to quickly maximize windows to fill up an entire space using mac os.

I have 9 spaces setup and i'd like mail and safari, among a few other apps to become maximized.

12. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Congrats on the mac!!! I've been without one since March, just picked up a macbook today!

Do yourself a favor, don't buy the $95 RAM! ;) You get get good quality stuff for $20 less. For example, check out the selection on Newegg.