Absolutely Perplexed - Strong Airport Signal, No Internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by forgeforth, Nov 10, 2010.

1. forgeforth macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Here's the run down: today I moved into a new place with two roommates. They have a wifi internet connection set up (modem + dlink router). I have been given all of the info regarding log ins and passwords. My Airport is telling me I have perfect reception and that I have a very strong signal. Yet, there is no internet (when I open Safari it tells me I am not connected to the internet). I've had this problem before, but it is usually resolved by restarting the modem or the router, by restarting my computer, etc. But I have been all over the internet looking for solutions and I have yet to find anything that can help me. And here's the kicker: I am using, right now as I type, someone else's wifi connection... yet I accessed it with the same password. It's a very basic password (12345). I thought maybe this was our unit's connection, but I actually unplugged the modem and continued to use the internet with this connection. The problem is that this connection is very slow and rather useless. I'm actually able to use 3-4 of these with the same password (12345). One of them is called 'dlink,' the name of our router. But our connection is supposedly under 'Nicks,' my roommate's name.

Can somebody please give me some ideas? I have a 13'' Mac 10.4.11, 1.83 GHz, 512 MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I have used Airport to successfully log on to the internet today both at my old residence and on the train coming to my new residence. I've tried pretty much every suggestion I could find on these boards and elsewhere. Although I'm pretty good with computers, I'm not an expert and there are some functions that will require a bit of explanation (i.e. pinging my router or any issue related to DNS).

Your advice is greatly appreciated! I've been at this for a few hours now.

2. sixcorners macrumors newbie

Make sure your computer isn't set to use a static ip address, subnet mask, etc (make sure it's set to automatic). Make sure that the DHCP server is on on the router. If the DHCP server was deactivated on purpose and you want to enter the network settings manually, make sure that the computer has the correct information.

If that didn't work, try going to /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app then entering "ifconfig" (without quotes) and pasting the results here.

Edit: actually if you do that, the MAC address might be considered personally identifiable information, so.. if you care, feel free to take that out.