Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glennoc91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
I recently encoded a few Japanese anime movies for my Apple TV

As I wanted both the Japanese and English audio, in Handbrake I changed the track 2 audio to Japanese, yet forgot to change the audio codec to AAC.

In iTunes I can change between english and japanese with no problems, however on my Apple TV I wouldn't get the option on the chapter and subtitle menu.

Is there now a way of either converting the AC-3 audio files to AAC? Or somehow making them play on my Apple TV as they do in my iTunes?

Would really appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance

Wheeler

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2007
Gotta re-encode. Atv2 doesn't support ac3, and don't think separating the audio track, re-encoding, then recombining with video would work well, though definitely could b wrong. Just seems re-handbraking would be easier- though cause hb wouldn't really have to do video encoding, might b as fast as re-encoding the audio to aac. Just a guess-

EDIT- I have no clue what i was thinking- please ignore this stupidity

Last edited:

gunthermic

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
Gotta re-encode. Atv2 doesn't support ac3, and don't think separating the audio track, re-encoding, then recombining with video would work well, though definitely could b wrong. Just seems re-handbraking would be easier- though cause hb wouldn't really have to do video encoding, might b as fast as re-encoding the audio to aac. Just a guess

Maybe I don't understand, but i am ripping all my movies with AC3(Dobly Digital) and ATV2 plays them perfectly fine. Asmatte as fact I encode all mine with AC3 (for ATV2) and AAC (for iPad)

AndyC

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2005
UK
I use MKVtools to convert audio and video formats, works ok for me when i use for AppleTV

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
I use MKVtools to convert audio and video formats, works ok for me when i use for AppleTV

Perfect tool for the job. Use the mp4 section- set the video for pass through, set the audio to aac, press go -job done.

Sorts out all my 'wrong audio' files.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Gotta re-encode. Atv2 doesn't support ac3, and don't think separating the audio track, re-encoding, then recombining with video would work well, though definitely could b wrong. Just seems re-handbraking would be easier- though cause hb wouldn't really have to do video encoding, might b as fast as re-encoding the audio to aac. Just a guess

The ATV2 does support AC3 so that isn't his problem.

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
As far as I understand AC3 is supported by passing it through to a seperate device (surround sound decoder) and is not handled directly by the appletv. My audio gets converted first before being added to itunes (using makemkv) and then played stereo through my TV.

Like as if I was your gran in the nineties.

:eek:

glennoc91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
I should mention I have the old grey AppleTV.

I try to open the .m4v file in mkv but it doesn't seem to like it

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
I should mention I have the old grey AppleTV.

I try to open the .m4v file in mkv but it doesn't seem to like it
Probably easiest to just re-encode it and make sure both tracks are aac ... or maybe make the first two the english aac + ac3 that the atv will expect and a third aac japanese track or whatever. The main thing is if the first two tracks are 1. aac and 2. ac3 passthru the atv will look at them as one track and depending on being hooked up to a DD 5.1 sound source play either one without allowing you to manually choose. If they are both aac tracks it views them as separate languages. Subler will allow you to change the Listed language of the tracks and just remux the mp4 (m4v).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.