AC adapter for Macbook - non Apple

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bobioden, Jan 20, 2008.

1. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

nice find, do you think they're safe to use tho?

2. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

May explode with use.

Seriously though, I don't ever **** around with knock off power anything. Fake batteries, fake power supplies, fake source cords are all good things to stay away from. You wouldn't want to blow up your $1000 computer to save $50 on a power cord.

3. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I have to agree with you, especially my MBP costs nearly $3000!

4. Bobioden thread starter macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I am not worried about the cost. My only problem is 584 people reviewed the Apple 60w Magsafe Adapter and it got an average of LESS than 2 stars. Was hoping to find a better alternative.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=701C0CBE&fnode=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/power&nplm=MA538LL/B

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Those would be a good investment, but the crucial flaw remains: the Magsafe is defective. The adapter isn't the problem; the problem lies in the cheap wiring where the plug connects to the computer. That's where all of the short circuits and fires occur, and unless these adapters feature a redesigned connector, they'll suffer the same fate. It'll just cost less to replace them.

6. elmo151 Guest

it's not the cost of the adapter, its the cost of your laptop; and whether any warranty you have might be voided. Apple now ships these things with just about every product. There must be something right about them :cool:

7. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Its the white cord that has the problem, not apples power brick. That generic one will have the exact same problem - the little magsafe tip is not properly reinforced.

8. Bobioden thread starter macrumors 68000

Bobioden