AC Adapter of alu MBP makes noise... Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maxap, Mar 14, 2009.

?

Is your MagSafe adapter for MBP (85W) completely silent?

1. It is completely silent and I hear no noise at all if I put my ear to it

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. It is not silent, as it makes that weird "buzz" noise which I can only hear putting my ear to it

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  3. It is pretty noise and sounds like a hard buzz which is pretty annoying

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Guys,

The AC Adapter of my new Macbook Pro has started making a weird noise. It is not very loud, but is noticeable if you're close to it and is a kind of sizzling. If it is plugged in, then you can hear it, even when you disconnect it from the laptop but keep plugged it in the socket.

Do you have the same issue? I haven't noticed it earlier, so maybe it started doing it recently... :(

Should I call Apple???

2. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

All my MagSafe adapters for all my MBPs have all done this. However, that's not to say it's normal. It's a known issue with the MagSafes, and I've just been unlucky enough to catch the same problem so many times:(

3. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

It is not loud at all... if you put your ear to the adapter, you'll be able to hear it. I called Apple and they told me to take the AC Adapter to one of the Apple Service Points in order to have it examined.

Does anyone have experience with Apple that the sent you a new adapter without further ado? That Service Point is pretty far from my home... Maybe I can better call Apple in a couple of days in hope that they will send me a new one without further ado.... :(

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I had an early 2006 85W adapter whose cord started to fray near the magsafe connector. Called Apple and they gave me the whole "if there is something wrong with it we will send you a new one. If there is not something wrong with it we will have to charge you for labor." deal, but there was definitely something wrong.

Your magsafe shouldn't be making noise, I don't think they will give you any hassle about it.

5. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

6. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

It is not a loud one, you can hear this buzz only if you put your ear to the white brick... But it sounds irregularly... very weird sounding...

Don't know what to do... :(

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Get it replaced immediately. If there's a short circuit, it may damage your computer. It could also be a fire hazard.

8. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Can anybody tell me how your MagSafe adapter sounds??? Does it make any sound at all????

9. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Do you think it can be that bad??? You can barely hear the buzz while getting your ear close to the brick...
    I am worried now :(

10. BlueJayLouchE macrumors member

BlueJayLouchE

You should called this thread "apples transformer blows!"

You'd have a 3 page thread

.... Or try "your adapter is about to explode... Maybe"

Weird forum sometimes.

Btw - I'm waiting for my mbp to be delivered so I can't help you out. Probably normal though.

11. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Thx for your reply...
    I hope somebody will be able to post a note whether his/her MagSafe adapter makes noise... :(

12. edblor macrumors regular

My magsafe does not exhibit this, but the AC adaptor for my MSI Wind does. It's odd, 'cause when it is in sleep mode, the adaptor humms when the sleep light flashes, and it always makes that buzzing/crackling sound.

I don't think it is anything to worry about, but I don't think they do this by design. I would bet that the coils inside are making this sound.

13. RKpro macrumors 6502

I've had 2 different 85w magsafe adapters since I switched to mac in October, both make the same noise. It doesn't bother me since mine is always under the desk. It hasn't blown up yet, so I assume it's normal..

here is what it sounds like placed on top of the mic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpZWXF5FD2k

14. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Yes... I think so too... But I would love to hear the guys who have a Macbook Pro and who can test their own power adapters... So that I would know it for sure...

15. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Thx a lot for your reply and the youtube video you've made... I hope our machines are normal :)

16. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Could you post your experience with the MagSafe adapters (85W for the MBP), guys?? Are they completely silent or not??? I still have no clear answer.

17. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

All AC Adapters Make A Noise Its The Way They Reduce The Voltage, Get Over It And Stop Asking Us To Check Ours, They Are All The Same!!

18. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

No they're not. They do give a buzz at the power brick. This is a known issue with the MacBook Pro magsafes (not sure about the other magsafes)

19. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Hmmm... That's strange, because Apple told me it is not right as the adapters need to be silent (the power brick of my 2-years-old Toshiba laptop, also a huge thing, makes no sound at all... it is completely silent, so I wonder why the MagSafe adapter must be a special case).

20. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

Its not a "special case" stick your ear to all your adapters in the house, 99% of them will buzz, nothing you can do about it, perfectly safe, perfectly normal !!

21. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

And that's the problem.... 100% of adapters I put my ear on make no noise at all (my Toshiba laptop, my media pc, chargers for my camcorder and mp3 players)... My MagSafe used to be completely silent and started to make this weird noise a couple of days ago. According to Apple it is a reason to get it changed for a new one...

22. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

hey guys, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR ADAPTERS. It makes this barely noticeable high pitched noise because it is converting the AC current to DC current. You can hear this in all AC to DC converters, it's just a little bit louder when it's higher wattage.

EDIT: just because the apple care people say that they will replace it, doesn't mean that you should. The apple care people (no offense) aren't the brightest. Go to any IT guy and they'll tell you that the sound in perfectly normal.

23. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Most AC to DC convetors hum, however saying that mine's completely silent.

24. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

its normal, heat and a tiny bit of sound are lost when electricity is put through a transformer, which is what the block is. Trust me, i'd be more worried if you couldn't hear anything in the block to be honest.

25. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

maxap: Dont you listen to anyone, there is nothing wrong with your adapter there is no need for a poll, there is no need to keep asking, no need for a second thread, you have been told by me and several other members that this is perfectly normal but you still keep asking WHY???